I don't understand

I don’t understand

The principal specified that the card would be in the cafeteria at lunch time every day of this week starting after the assembly.

As she was finishing her speech, I saw Kenneth storm out of the gym while I was obliviously looking to my right.

While everyone headed out for lunch, I followed him.

Pizza always has the same effect on teenagers no matter the circumstances!

He was walking towards outside, on the side of the school.

When I was walking to reach him, he had already stepped out the door.

Kenneth was sitting on a wooden park bench his back to me.

I sat next to him without a word.

“You followed me?” he asked incredulous.

“I’m standing here; my guess is yeah I followed you!” I replied sarcastically.

“No need to be so harsh!” he shot back.

I rolled my eyes.

 “Are you okay?” I asked uneasy.

 “Yes why?” he replied.

“Well, when I see someone storm out like you did, I’m inclined to think that something’s wrong.” I added in a more serious and slightly biting manner, although it wasn’t my intention.

He looked away for a moment before speaking.

“Amber’s accident reminded me of my cousin…” Kenneth trailed.

I looked at him more attentively.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I asked cautiously.

“No, I really don’t.” Kenneth said annoyed.

“You don’t need to always know everything about everyone. Learn to leave people alone! ” he said sharply and before I could defend myself he was back inside.

What the hell is he talking about?Jerk! Okay calm yourself down Nellie!

I gave him space; there was obviously no use to going with him.

Unless, you feel like being insulted by him again…

I stayed there, sitting on the bench frozen, probably looking like a fool.

I was trying to remember everything he had said and was trying to figure out what he had meant.

It had been a while since I hadn’t been...confronted...

I sighed, as I was ‘preparing’ to get up, Gavin was approaching holding a sandwich.

He waved, I did the same.

“Hi, what’s up?” he asked joyfully.

“Nothing much, I finished correcting essays this weekend!” I said half-smiling.

It was kind of awkward since I never had a full conversation with him.

To me, he’s simply my friend’s husband!

“That’s always fun…” he trailed, visibly not sure of what to say next.

“Yeah very!” I replied as if I thought his comment was funny.

Definitely a weird and difficult conversation!

But I was glad that he didn’t seem to see my annoyance. Guys…