Chapter 26

Adrian's heart nearly stopped when the door swung open unexpectedly, and two men stepped inside.

"Let's get straight to the point," Damien declared, arms crossed tightly over his chest. "Em is asleep, and tomorrow we won't have a chance to talk to you without Em thinking we're here to threaten or harm you. This is our only opportunity to have a private conversation."

Adrian could only manage a nod, feeling a slight wave of relief wash over him at the realization that they weren't there to kill him.

"We located your friend," Johnathan announced, looking directly at Adrian.

"What? Where? How?" Adrian's mind raced with questions. He had assumed it would take them a while to track down Nick.

"That's really none of your business, but tomorrow we're heading out to have some fun with him," Johnathan said with a sinister grin, already plotting how to unleash his pent-up anger on Nick.

"Heading out? Both of you? What about Emerald?" Adrian asked, anxiety creeping into his voice.
"That's where you come in," Damien said, his gaze piercing through Adrian, "You'll be watching her,
whether you like it or not."

"What? Me?" Adrian's heart raced.

"Yes, you. You can move now, your body is perfectly fine compared to hers. We'll be gone for a few hours, depending on how long your friend can keep us entertained," Adrian swallowed hard at Johnathan's words.

"Don't even think about doing anything foolish. We set up cameras as soon as Emerald fell asleep. If you try anything, we'll know," Damien warned, his voice low and menacing.
"You need to take care of her and treat her like a normal 11-year-old, not some pet. Do you understand?" Damien leaned closer, his eyes locked onto Adrian's, "Because if we return and our girl is hurt or crying, I will personally make sure you regret it, and I will relish every moment," he whispered, a chilling smile spreading across his face as he noticed the sweat forming on Adrian's brow.

"You better get some rest, you have a child to look after in the morning," and with that, they left him trembling in fear.