Chapter 13: The Bismuth Campaign

"Avian Form: Woodpecker Beak Strikes!" Mivangeline practiced with Shien.

"That's it, Mivange!" Shien defended with rolling punches. "Don't think, just react. Keep your knees bent!"

The two parried across the synthwave purple grid floor of a training room in the Saberdome Arena. Mivangeline wore a blue sports bra and dark shorts with her brown hair tied into a short ponytail. Shien wore a Vultau robe that had a little chickadee embroidery. When they finished practicing, the two bowed with their hands and fists together.

"Congrats!" Shien beamed. "You've officially become a bird!"

"What?" Mivangeline relaxed her hands.

"You know, Avian Form! Aves is the scientific name for birds. Mom said the Niang legacy based the entire style off of birds."

"Oh, that's cool. Your mom likes birds too?"

"Of course! We watch and draw birds together. We even made a birdhouse in the backyard for a family of chickadees! They're probably doing fine. I-I hope Mom is too."

Shien covered his tears. "I-I'm sorry, Mivange. I don't mean to cry in front of you. I miss my mom! I just want to get out of the Syanic Earth."

Mivangeline hugged him. "It's okay, Shien. We'll escape this game together. You'll see your mom, again. I promise."

The Commander realized she was embracing Shien again, but didn't retract this time. Mivangeline felt comfortable with Shien as the two looked into each other's eyes. They laughed with blushing cheeks.

"Commander! We finished our calculations!" Zirconessa blurted from Mivangeline's notifications. "The wartram will crash into Safinir City close by. We need you now if we're going to whoosh at the Dynastiotron."

"Copy, Zirconessa. Thank you," Mivangeline acknowledged.

"Hey, Mivange? I have an honest question," Shien jumped after Zirconessa hung up. "Would you like to be my girlfriend?"

"Wait, what?" Mivangeline gasped. "Where did that come from?"

"I mean, I've got a crush on you. So, it would make sense to ask you out, right?"

Mivangeline burst into laughter. "Shien, you're just straight to the point."

"Yes! I know!" Shien blinked. "Wait, that's not a bad thing, right?"

"N-no! It means you're honest and don't play games. I like that," Mivangeline then remembered Shien encouraging her during the battle with Dosigma. "You stood by me when I was at my lowest and taught me so much in leading. So, my answer is yes!"

"Yay! This is the best day ever!" Shien flapped his arms like a bird before the couple kissed.

"Aw, Shien," Mivangeline patted his back. "Okay, let's meet with the party so we're not late."

"Cool!" Shien walked out of the training room, holding hands with his girlfriend. "When we beat the game, we should date in real life!"

"Let's make that a promise," The Commander made a pinky promise with Shien. "Let's fight together!"

***

"Hey, Enshiron! Did you get the message?" Naivern ran into Enshiron's hotel room. "The wartram's coming! Mivangeline wants us to meet on top of the Exrook Tower."

"Oh, sure," He placed his violin on his bed.

Enshiron grabbed his violin case from a shelf, but accidentally dropped it. "Ugh, at least it wasn't the violin. I'll be there, Naivern."