Chapter 9: Tea with Knavus

"The I-Ironclad Eagle..." Hernamidos stuttered in front of Fanghui's hologram. "I-it was attacked?"

"Yes. You left Dacos alone to fend for himself against the SHRIKE attack. It would cost us a fortune if the megachasmoid production was sabotaged!" Fanghui crossed his arms. "The Cerulean Countess was going to take care of Calice and Misuna for you, but no, she had to clean up after you!"

The King of the Reaper Squad sweated. "S-so, what now?"

"I'll have another agent foresee the Ironclad Eagle operations. Meanwhile, I want you to investigate a little conspiracy in Korea."

"What? I'm the head of the Ironclad Eagle," Hernamidos stomped. "That's outrageous! You can't do that!"

"I apologize if you feel that way, but I can. Meet me in the Arcane Phalange in one hour before I drag you there myself!"

"Y-yes, as you wish, Supreme Herald."

***

"Sorry, but I'm still not sure if I trust the UICA," A player told Shien and Mivangeline on the glowing purple streets of Zinthesia City.

Mivangeline and the group split up in the hope of recruiting new players in Zinthesia City. Purple rectangular buildings vibrated with rock music from their circular boombox stereo windows.

"I-I understand if you don't want to join, but will you at least think about it?" Mivangeline asked.

"No guarantees, but I will give it some thought," The player nodded. "Oh, but it's impressive that you beat Dosigma though. Congrats."

"Th-thank you," Mivangeline replied as the player walked away.

"See?" Shien elbowed her. "That wasn't so bad!"

"But he didn't join us."

"At least he respects you for leading us against Dosigma, right? It's a good sign!" Shien marched onward, holding Mivangeline's hand. "Come on! Let's find some more people. We're gonna boost that confidence of yours."

"Eep! No," She tugged against him. "I don't want to talk to any more strangers."

"Mivange, if you want to recruit more people, you need to put yourself out there. People don't just magically come to you."

"They should..." Mivangeline resisted. "Why can't you just do the talking instead?"

"But you're the Commander! You have to be a good role model. People will find you approachable if you reach out to them. And come on, you're extremely pretty!"

"St-stop it!" Mivangeline shoved her hand on Shien's face. "D-don't say those things out loud! People will stare at me."

"Ow! Mivange, you're an idol, a cute one. Of course, everybody stares at you. I'm just trying to help you!"

"Ey!" They heard Naivern called. "Look who I found!"

Next to Naivern was an android guide with long orange hair and blue cybernetic eyes. With astatine antennae shaped like cat ears, she rolled on her bladed roller skates as her belt dangled with tools. It was Zirconessa, the android weaponsmith, and Naivern's android guide.

"Oh, no," Shien grimaced. "Uh, Mivange. Do we need her?"

"Yes, Shien. We need the help we can get. And she can give you a new clarinet. Why?"

"New clarinet? You broke another one, Shien? Zoom!" Zirconessa zoomed at him in a flash of orange light. "Get your tiny butt over here!"

"W-wait, Zirc!" Shien fled in vain until the speedy Zirconessa pinned him down. "It's not my fault, I swear!"