𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. stables

CALL YOUR MOM

ACT ONE: i'm called
mr forgettable

chapter thirteen. stables

MITCHELL COULDN'T SLEEP, NOT AFTER HIS last vision

MITCHELL COULDN'T SLEEP, NOT AFTER HIS last vision. He was covered in sweat, breathing heavily and pale. He stumbled to his feet, grabbed his shirt and tossed it on. He was already wearing a pair of low sweats.

He slipped his ring on and kept his dagger close. He turned invisible and snuck out of his cabin. He found Percy's quickly and slipped in. He couldn't explain why he was running to Percy for help, he just was.

Mitchell watched as Percy twisted and turned, drooling and murmuring incoherent words. It went on like that for a minute before Mitchell started to shake Percy.

"Percy." He said.

As Percy's eyes opened and his vision cleared, he realised Mitchell was really there. He was standing by Percy's berth, staring down at him. Mitchell's brown hair fell across his shoulders. His multicoloured eyes were filled with amusement and fear.

"Wh—what's going on?" Percy asked. "Are we there?"

"No," Mitchell said, his voice low. "It's the middle of the night."

"You mean . . ." Percy's heart started to race. He realised he was in his pajamas, in bed. No doubt he had a severe case of pillow hair and his breath didn't smell great. "You snuck into my cabin?"

Mitchell rolled his eyes. "Percy, you'll be seventeen in two months. You can't seriously be worried about getting into trouble with Coach Hedge."

"Uh, have you seen his baseball bat?"

"Besides, Nemo, I just thought we could take a walk. I want to show you something—my favorite place aboard the ship."

Percy's pulse was still in overdrive, but it wasn't from fear of getting into trouble. "Can I, you know, brush my teeth first?"

"You'd better," Mitchell said. "Because I'm not talking you until you do. And brush your hair while you're at it."

For a trireme, the ship was huge, but it still felt cozy. Mitchell and Percy crept downstairs to the second deck, which Percy hadn't explored except for sickbay.

Mitchell led him past the engine room, which looked like a very dangerous, mechanized jungle gym, with pipes and pistons and tubes jutting from a central bronze sphere. Cables resembling giant metal noodles snaked across the floor and ran up the walls.

"How does that thing even work?" Percy asked.

"No idea," Mitchell said. "And I'm the only one besides Leo and Annie who can operate it."

"That's reassuring."

"It should be fine. It's only threatened to blow up once."

"You're kidding, I hope.