𝐱𝐢𝐱. diet coke saves the day

CALL YOUR MOM

ACT ONE: i'm called
mr forgettable

chapter nineteen. diet coke saves the day

AT THAT MOMENT, Piper caused the disturbance they needed

AT THAT MOMENT, Piper caused the disturbance they needed. She wailed so loudly it could be heard through her gag. Then she fainted against the nearest guard, knocking him over. Hazel got the idea and crumpled to the deck, kicking her legs and thrashing like she was having a fit.

Percy drew Riptide and lashed out. The blade should have gone straight through Chrysaor's neck, but the golden warrior was unbelievably fast. He dodged and parried as the dolphin warriors backed up, guarding the other captives while giving their captain room to battle. They chattered and squeaked, egging him on, and Percy got the sinking suspicion the crew was used to this sort of entertainment. They didn't feel their leader was in any sort of danger.

Percy hadn't crossed swords with an opponent like this, since he'd battled the war god Ares. Chrysaor was that good. Many of Percy's powers had gotten stronger over the years, but now, too late, Percy realised that swordplay wasn't one of them.

He was rusty—at least against an adversary like Chrysaor.
They battled back and forth, thrusting and parrying. The golden gorgon mask was too unnerving. The warm fog, the slick deck boards, the chattering of the warriors—none of it helped. And in the corner of his eye, Percy could see one of the dolphin-men holding a knife at Mitchell's throat in case he tried anything tricky. Percy feinted and thrust at Chrysaor's gut, but Chrysaor anticipated the move.

He knocked Percy's sword out of his hand again, and once more Riptide flew into the sea. Chrysaor laughed easily. He wasn't even winded. He pressed the tip of his golden sword against Percy's sternum.

"A good try," said the pirate. "But now you'll be chained and transported to Gaea's minions. They are quite eager to spill your blood and wake the goddess."

As Percy stood there, disarmed and outmatched, the plan formed in his head. He was so used to Annabeth or Mitchell providing Greek legend information that he was kind of stunned to actually remember something useful, but he had to act fast.

He couldn't let anything happen to his friends. He wasn't going to lose Mitchell — not again. Chrysaor couldn't be beat. At least not in single combat. But without his crew, maybe then he could be overwhelmed if enough demigods attacked him at once.

Percy glanced toward the stern and spotted Frank, in human form, peeking out from behind a ballista, waiting. Percy resisted the urge to smile. The big guy claimed to be clumsy and useless, but he always seemed to be in exactly the right place when Percy needed him.

"Fine!" Percy shouted, so loudly that he got everyone's attention. "Take us away, if our captain will let you."

Chrysaor turned his golden mask. "What captain? My men searched the ship. There is no one else."