17

"I don't like that girl." Sisanda spoke as soon as Naledi settled into the car. "I know, I try to tolerate her. You should to." Sisanda laughed in disbelief. "Haai chaa. Masiyeke indaba ka ghel. Tell me, is that the famous Ntsika you've been telling me about? (Hell no. Let's leave this fuss about that girl.)" If Naledi hadn't been the one driving, she would've looked to the side and shrugged Sisanda off, not answering her question due to the blush on her face. 

"Yes, that's Ntsika." Sisanda let out a scream and laughed happily. "Finally, you're gonna get some!" Naledi laughed and swerved out of the way. "You will get us killed now!" Sisanda was hysterical. The two managed to get to work on time and immediately got serious. "Knock knock." Naledi looked up and it was her boss. "Yes sir?" He stared at her intently. 

"Is your presentation ready? You know you can always ask me for help, I'm more than happy to help you." He touched her shoulder. She cleared her throat and shifted in her seat to remove his hand. "I am done, thank you for offering to help." She felt very uncomfortable in that moment. "Please leave, I need to finish my work." Mr. Xulu felt a pang of embarrassment, nodded and walked out with his head held high even as his ego hung low. 

For the rest of the day, Naledi allowed herself to drown in her work. The ringing phone startled her. "Naledi Mokoena hello." The person on the other end of the call let out a sigh. "Hello?" 

"Why aren't you answering your phone Naledi, you had me worried." She felt confused. She knew her phone was on vibrate so she could pick up if anyone called her, the thing that confused her the most was the fact that Tau is the one who called her. "Please wait a minute." She ended the call, picked her phone up and indeed, she had multiple missed calls. "What the?" She looked at the time and it was 16h50. She packed her bags and decided to call her twin first. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't hear my phone ringing." 

"Hello to you too Naledi. Come to the hospital, something's happened." 

"What happened Kwena?" She entered the elevator. "Kwe-Kwena? Argh!" She ended the call and called her mother as soon as she stepped out of the elevator. "Naledi, you want to hospitalize me kao bona! Where on earth have you been? I called and called and called!" She felt bad to hear her mother sounding so distraught. "I am so sorry Mme, I was occupied with work but I'm on my way now. Where are you?" Her heels clicked on the tiled floors, and she rushed out to get to her car, Sisanda long forgotten. 

"The hospital, something has happened to Kedibone." That made her halt. "What happened to Kedi?" She heard her mother let out a sigh. "Mama?" Her steps slowed down and she found it hard to breath. "Mama?" Her chest burned as she tried to take deep breaths. "She's stable now. Look, go home and Papa and I will come to you." She nodded, forgetting that she is on a phone call. 

"Naledi?" 

"Yes, ma I heard you, I'll be on my way." She unlocked her car, threw her laptop bag inside before making her way to the driver's seat to begin the long journey back to her parent's house. She took a deep breath, said a prayer before putting the key in the ignition. She drove out and into the road leading to the N3 which would take her straight home. The time on the radio read 18h14 as she turned into the street leading to her home. She took a deep breath before driving up to the gate. The electronic gate buzzed and pulled open and she drove in. 

The lights in the house were off and the curtains were still drawn out, indicating that her parents left earlier on in the morning. "Right." She placed her things in her bedroom and changed from her heels to her slippers. She picked her phone up from the bed and called Sisanda. "Hey doll, I had to leave earlier on, and I forgot to tell you." She let out a sigh, "okay, stay safe. I also had to leave in a rush, something's happened to Kedi and I had to come back home."