Chapter 5: Budgeting Dreams

The late morning sun spilled through the farmhouse windows, bathing the kitchen in warm light as Elliot and Lily sat at the table, their wedding planning notebook open between them. The mood was lighter than it had been in recent weeks, thanks to their decision to keep the wedding small and intimate. But now they faced another challenge—the budget. Planning the perfect wedding didn't come without costs, and they needed to make sure their dream day wouldn't stretch their finances too thin.

Lily tapped her pen against the notebook, her brow furrowed in concentration. "Okay," she said, exhaling slowly. "We've got the guest list narrowed down, and we know what we want the wedding to look like. Now we just need to figure out how much we're willing to spend on everything."

Elliot nodded, leaning forward to look at the breakdown of potential expenses they had jotted down. "Yeah, we need to be smart about this. We've already got enough on our plate with the house repairs, and we don't want to go into debt just for one day."

Lily gave him a small smile. "Exactly. We want the day to be special, but we also don't need to go overboard. It's about making it meaningful, not about spending a fortune."

With that in mind, they turned their attention to the notebook, where they had listed all the major wedding categories: venue, food, décor, photography, attire, and so on. Each category had a blank space next to it for an estimated cost, and it was time to start filling those in.

"Let's start with the venue," Lily said, glancing up at Elliot. "The good news is we don't have to spend anything there, since we're doing the ceremony and reception here at the farmhouse."

Elliot nodded, a smile tugging at his lips. "One of the many benefits of having it at home. Plus, it's already a place that means a lot to us."

Lily scribbled "$0" next to the venue line, grateful that they could save a significant amount by hosting the wedding on their own property. It gave them the freedom to create a relaxed, personal atmosphere without the pressure of renting an expensive venue.

"Next up is food," Lily continued, flipping to the next section of the notebook. "We've talked about doing a family-style meal, which will definitely be cheaper than a formal plated dinner. We could go with a local caterer or even ask some family members to help with the cooking."

Elliot thought for a moment, considering their options. "I like the idea of keeping it simple, maybe doing a mix of catered and homemade dishes. Your mom is great at baking, and my aunt has that amazing recipe for brisket. We could ask them to help with some of the food, and then hire a caterer to handle the rest."

Lily's face brightened at the thought. "That sounds perfect. It'll make the meal feel more personal, and we'll save money by not relying entirely on a caterer."

After discussing the menu in more detail, they decided on a budget of around $2,000 for food. It was a reasonable amount, given that they would be feeding a smaller group, and by combining family contributions with some professional catering, they could keep the costs manageable while still providing a delicious meal for their guests.

"Now, for décor," Lily said, flipping to the next category. "I'm thinking we can keep it simple here too. We already have the natural beauty of the farmhouse and the garden, so we don't need to go overboard with decorations. Maybe some string lights, candles, and flowers from the garden?"

Elliot nodded. "That sounds good to me. We can do a lot of the décor ourselves. I think we can get by with around $500 for lights, candles, and a few other things to make the space look nice."

Lily smiled, jotting down the number. She loved the idea of using their garden flowers for the wedding, and by keeping the décor simple and natural, they could create a beautiful, intimate setting without spending a fortune.