Chapter 11: The Farmhouse Garden

The morning sun cast a warm glow over the farmhouse garden as Lily knelt in the soft soil, her fingers gently pressing small seeds into the earth. She glanced up at Elliot, who was nearby, carefully digging small holes for the flower bulbs they had chosen together. The day was calm, and the scent of fresh soil and blooming wildflowers filled the air, creating a peaceful atmosphere as they worked side by side.

For weeks, they had been preparing the garden for the wedding, choosing the perfect flowers and plants to line the pathway and decorate the ceremony area. But today was the day they would actually begin planting. It was a task they had both looked forward to, not only because it was a tangible step toward their wedding day but also because it felt symbolic—planting something together that would grow and bloom over time, just like their relationship.

Lily wiped a strand of hair from her face, feeling a sense of contentment as she buried another seed. "It's kind of amazing to think that in a few weeks, all of this will be in full bloom," she said softly, her voice filled with wonder. "These little seeds are going to grow into something beautiful, right in time for the wedding."

Elliot looked over at her, a warm smile spreading across his face. "It's pretty fitting, isn't it?" he said, kneeling beside her to help plant the next row of seeds. "We're literally planting the foundation of our wedding, watching it grow into something beautiful. Just like us."

Lily smiled at the sentiment, feeling her heart swell with love for Elliot. She had always loved the idea of using flowers from their own garden for the wedding—something personal, something that reflected the life they were building together. And now, as they worked in the garden, she realized how much this simple act meant. It wasn't just about the flowers—it was about creating something together, nurturing it, and watching it thrive.

"Do you think they'll all bloom in time?" Lily asked, a hint of worry in her voice as she pressed another seed into the soil. "What if they don't grow fast enough?"

Elliot chuckled softly, shaking his head. "They'll bloom, Lil. You've done all the research and made sure we're planting them at the perfect time. And even if they don't all bloom exactly on schedule, the ones that do will be beautiful. And that's all that matters."

Lily sighed, feeling a little better as she nodded. "You're right. I just want everything to be perfect, you know?"

Elliot paused for a moment, sitting back on his heels as he looked at her. "I get it. But remember what we talked about—things don't have to be perfect to be meaningful. The flowers will be beautiful because we planted them together, not because they're all perfectly in bloom. It's the thought and effort behind it that makes it special."

His words soothed the lingering worries in Lily's heart, and she smiled, grateful for his steady presence. "You always know exactly what to say to calm me down," she said, her voice soft with affection.

Elliot grinned, returning to his task. "Well, I've had plenty of practice."

They continued planting in comfortable silence, the sound of birds chirping and the gentle breeze rustling through the trees providing a peaceful soundtrack to their work. The garden, once bare and untouched, was slowly transforming into a vibrant space filled with promise. Rows of seeds and bulbs dotted the soil, each one a symbol of the love and care they had put into their wedding and their life together.

At one point, Elliot stopped to wipe the sweat from his brow, glancing around the garden with a sense of pride. "It's going to look amazing," he said, his voice filled with quiet satisfaction. "Just imagine it—guests walking down this path, surrounded by all these flowers, right here in the place we've built together."

Lily's heart fluttered at the thought. She could already picture the scene—the garden in full bloom, the soft fragrance of flowers filling the air, and their friends and family gathered around them as they said their vows. It was exactly what she had always wanted—a wedding that felt like home.