CHAPTER 3: SETTING A DATE

The morning sunlight streamed through the wide farmhouse windows, bathing the kitchen in a soft golden glow. Outside, the frost was starting to melt, glistening like diamonds on the fields. Inside, Elliot and Lily sat at the kitchen table, their fingers intertwined, a pot of coffee steaming between them. The atmosphere was warm and relaxed, a gentle quiet enveloping them as they leaned toward one another, discussing the next step in their journey together—the wedding date.

Choosing the date for their wedding felt like one of the most important decisions they'd had to make so far. It wasn't just about picking a day—it was about finding the right moment in time, a moment that would mark the beginning of their life together. Both Elliot and Lily knew it wasn't something they could rush.

"I was thinking," Lily began, her voice thoughtful as she flipped through her wedding planning notebook. "We should really decide when we want to get married. That way, we can start planning the rest around it."

Elliot nodded, his eyes drifting out the window as he gazed at the sun-drenched fields beyond. "Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. It's a big decision. We need to find the perfect time."

Lily smiled, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "So, when do you think would be best? I've always loved the idea of a spring wedding, with all the flowers blooming. But late summer is nice too. And autumn—oh, imagine getting married in the middle of all those colorful leaves."

Her eyes sparkled with excitement as she imagined the possibilities, her mind filling with visions of warm, sunny afternoons or crisp fall days. The changing of the seasons held so much beauty, and each one brought its own unique charm. She wanted their wedding day to feel magical, to capture the essence of their love and the life they were building together.

Elliot smiled at her enthusiasm, though he remained quiet for a moment as he mulled over the options. He loved the way she thought about things—the way her mind filled with creative possibilities, always seeking the beauty in every situation. But as he considered their choices, he couldn't help but think about the practical side of things as well.

"I like the idea of spring," he said, his voice thoughtful. "It feels fresh, like a new beginning. But I wonder if it might be too soon. With everything we've got going on with the house, we might not have enough time to pull it all together."

Lily nodded slowly, understanding his point. Spring wasn't too far off, and with the repairs that still needed to be done on the farmhouse, they might not have the time or energy to focus on wedding planning. There was also the cost to consider—spring weddings could be expensive, with venues and services booking up fast.

"That's true," Lily said. "Maybe spring is too soon. And with the garden, we'll be planting by then, so we'll have a lot on our plates."

Elliot looked at her, his expression softening. "What about summer? We could wait until late summer, when things have slowed down a bit. The days will be long, and we'd have more time to get everything ready. Plus, we could use flowers from the garden for the wedding."

Lily's eyes lit up at the thought of incorporating their garden into the wedding. She could picture it now—their own homegrown flowers decorating the ceremony, adding a personal touch to the day. The thought of walking down the aisle surrounded by the fruits of their labor, the flowers they had planted together, felt like the perfect symbol of their love.

"I love that idea," she said, her voice bright with excitement. "We could get married right here at the farmhouse, maybe out in the field. It would be so beautiful, so personal."

Elliot smiled, pleased to see her excitement growing. "Late summer sounds like it could be perfect. It gives us time to get the house in order, but it's still warm enough to have the ceremony outside. We could string lights in the trees, have the reception in the backyard. It would feel like home."