Chapter 9

"Loving him isn't easy, his thoughts are kept concealed, his heart is decorated with warning signs."

******

Miranda burst into my room. "You went out with Michael last night."

I looked up from my textbook to see her standing there with her hands on her hips. "Yeah.."

"And?"

I stopped gnawing on my pen cap, surprised. "Um.. it was good?" Since when did Miranda care about what I did?

"He's nice, right?" she asked, searching my face.

"Yeah, he's great."

"What did you guys do?" Miranda asked me curiously. Maybe Michael told her we were dating. I was pleasantly surprised she wanted to talk about the date.

"He's...wonderful," I said, thinking about last night. "He took me to an Italian place for dinner and then we went to the movies."

Miranda looked like she was contemplating something when she asked, "Do you really like him?"

What an odd question to ask. "Yeah, I do."

She nodded, her expression unsure. I looked at her suspiciously.

"Ok, well...I'm going out with Jake and some friends for a bit, I'll see ya later," she said quickly, before exiting my room. Well that was just plain weird. Miranda never asked about my personal life. Hopefully this was her version of reaching out to talk.

I tried not to take it personally that Miranda didn't invite me to go with them. It was probably for the best that I didn't see Jake after what happened last night. I felt a little guilty about blowing up on him. If he didn't want to make time for me, that was his decision. I had to get over it.

I called Michael to see if he wanted to hang out but he didn't pick up so I just went back to studying. By the afternoon, Mom and Mariam finally woke up and Mom came to see me. She sat down on my bed and watched me work for a few minutes before speaking up.

"I just got off the phone with Dr. Ferrel." He was Dad's councillor and supervisor at the rehabilitation facility.

"What did he say?" I asked, looking up. She had an unreadable expression on her face.

"Your Dad has been sober for almost two years now. He thinks it would be best for you guys to build a relationship with him again."

"Why waste time," I replied, going back to my work.

"People make mistakes Laur," she said, touching my hand. "I think you and Miranda should meet up with him."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "That wasn't a 'mistake' Mom. He chose booze over his own family."

"Don't you think I know that?" she asked, her face hardening. "I'll never forget it Lauren. All I'm saying, is that you guys need a father, and he wants to step up."

"We don't need him. We're fine."

"At least think about it," Mom finally offered. I didn't reply.

******

Five Years Ago

"Dad! Dad!" I shouted excitedly, running into the living room. He was sitting on the couch with a bottle of his favourite beer. I saw two empty ones and some liquor on the coffee table and mentally did a victory dance. He was always good until the fourth was gone, I still had time.

"Laurie, keep your voice down. You know it gives me a headache," he said, his words slurring just a bit.

"I got first place!" I said excitedly, handing him my certificate.