Chapter 12

"What I have with you,

I don't want with anyone else."

******

"He took me to Edenrose Escarpment," Anne said, happily. She was telling me about how Tyler surprised her over the weekend with a picnic date in the park.

"He was so cute. He set up blankets, pillows, and snacks on the back of his pickup truck. We spent hours there just talking and getting to know each other better. We watched the sunset together, the view was breathtaking."

"Aw Anne," I said to her, "that is so sweet. I'm so happy for you!"

"And then later in the evening, we watched The Ring. He loves horror movies just as much as I do," she said, clapping her hands.

I made a face. "Thank God he likes them, now I don't have to be forced to watch anymore."

"Hah, you're not off the hook. Watching your face is entertainment in itself," she said, smiling wide. I flung a kernel her way.

"Are you guys official now?" I asked.

Anne sighed dreamily. "Yeah, I guess we are."

Anne had been going crazy the past week wondering if Tyler really wanted to be in a relationship with her or if he wasn't ready. He was dealing with Ashley going through what she was, and then trying to break free from the stigma that they were meant to be together. Anne had basically given up on them when Tyler asked her to go out with him on Sunday. He had planned the whole evening out for them, not missing a thing. Anne was over the moon.

"So, how are things with you and Michael?" Anne asked, sitting up.

"They're good, I guess. He's been kinda distant lately," I replied.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, we haven't really hung out and talked in a while. I don't want to come off as needy though, so I haven't said anything," I answered honestly.

Anne nodded understandingly. "It's not 'needy'. He's your boyfriend. I think you should just talk to him."

I told her about the argument I had with Miranda and saw Anne raise her eyebrow, perplexed.

"That's so odd, I didn't know she wasn't a fan of Michael. They're pretty old friends."

"Yeah, I thought she approved. Guess not. And you know what else? She told me he smokes a lot and does some other shit at parties," I said, incredulously.

Anne looked a little uncomfortable. "Not to rain on your parade or anything, but, he's not the most innocent when it comes to that stuff."

"What?! C'mon Anne, I would know if he was heavily involved. Everyone does a little here and there," I said, shrugging.

"Hey, you know I'm only telling you cause I care. It's kind of common knowledge. You just never go to those kind of parties," Anne said warily.

I was about to reply when the door bell rang. I looked at Anne, confused. We weren't expecting anyone else. I walked over to the door and looked out the window to see Grace sitting on the porch in her prom dress.

I opened the door and gasped when I saw her. She was quite a site. Her makeup was running down her face, her curly blond hair was falling out of the updo it was in and her beautiful satin red dress sat around her resembling, well, a pool of blood. She stood up when she saw me staring at her, my mouth hung open.

"Oh my God," I heard Anne say from behind me. That seemed to open the floodgates, and Grace burst into tears.

We ushered her inside and got her covered up in a blanket with some hot tea. Anne took the bobby pins out of hair and I started wiping her face with a makeup wipe. Together, we got her looking somewhat like Grace again.