Chapter 26

A couple of days later, I was laying beside Miranda on the hospital bed when Mom and Dad silently walked in. I stared at her sleeping face, trying to memorize every curve and edge. She was bare faced, her blond hair laying around her messily, and she'd never looked more peaceful. It took me by surprise that I was picking up features that matched mine exactly. How did I ever think we didn't look alike?

Mom came over and brushed my hair back. "How are you doing?"

I cleared my throat from the sleep. "I'm ok, she's been asleep since I got here this morning."

"Ok, we're going to go get some breakfast for you guys," Mom whispered, walking back.

As soon as the door closed, Miranda's eyes fluttered open. We looked at each other uncertainly.

I broke the silence. "You just missed them." You almost died.

She nodded and then stretched, yawning. "I feel like I've been asleep for days, what did they give me?"

"Just something for the pain and to help you sleep." Something to help you forget.

She turned on her back and looked at the glowing stars attached to the ceiling. "Remember when we had those in our room?"

I smiled. "Covered every spot."

"That was your space obsession phase," she laughed. "I remember thats all you talked about nonstop for months."

We talked about everything that didn't mean much of anything, carefully dancing around the elephant in the room. Our parents came in with breakfast and we all sat around the room, eating and making light conversation.

Jake and Mariam came in at noon and talked and joked around with Miranda and my parents for a while. I was thankful that Jake didn't make things awkward, we said our hellos and I pretended that heartbreak wasn't crushing me with every passing moment. Miranda's face was lit up with laughter as Jake told a story about how he spiked Jason's coffee with salt and watched him spew it all over his blueprints in front of everyone. She looked relaxed and so full of life that it made every piece of hurt go away and the only thing left was gratitude for this moment with her that could've been stolen away in a heartbeat.

It seemed like everyone from our grade visited Miranda at one point and the room was bursting with colourful flowers and get well soon cards. I realized then that Miranda wasn't just "popular" in the shallow sense, she had a way of making everyone feel wanted and cared for.

I sat in the corner of her room with a cold cup of coffee in my hand and watched with quiet fascination as my best friend healed right before me. This was all she needed, all she'd ever asked for. To have people there, to know she wasn't going through it all by herself. How could I have missed that?

Sometimes all you need in life is a little conversation and the knowledge that even the darkest parts of the world were still brimming with life and love. Some people were born with that belief and some just needed a little help to get there.

Later that evening, I excused myself and stepped out to go to the bathroom. The smile on my face faded when I saw Jake coming down the hall with Maira, looking breathtakingly gorgeous in his work clothes. He had his suit jacket slung over one arm and he was holding a box of Krispy Kreme donuts in the other.

Mine, I thought possessively.

I immediately brushed the thought away. Nope, don't even go there.

He looked up and his face fell for a second before he collected himself into the cool and calm facade of Jake Harrison. Maira was either oblivious to the change in energy or she chose to ignore it. Whatever the situation, I was thankful when she gave me a warm hug in greeting. The soft smell of roses filled my nose and I was immediately thankful for the comforting gesture.