Chapter Nineteen

Everyone was running late, I feel that the importance of my situation is decreasing and no one seems to care. I looked at the kid ahead of me who was playing with his toy truck till I was called in. It was now the second half of the trial and I didn't exactly know how to feel since it was Angelica's turn to be questioned. I sat down and crossed my legs confidently, I know for fact she is going to be locked up for a long time.

It was 20 minutes into the trail and I kept zoning in and out, the questions they were asking had no relevance at all. All I wanted to know is why she kidnapped me and why is there such a huge obsession.

"How did you manage to take Nifemi from her family party?" My lawyer asked looking at her

I looked towards her and she tilted her head looking at though she was trying to remember.

"I just took her like that " she clicked her two fingers together. I rolled my eyes and looked to the judge who didn't seem to pleased with her response

"Why do you keep calling her your daughter?"

"She is my daughter, that time she was 4 and I took her to the park after school. There was a massive dog which scared her so she clunged onto me once she saw it running around the field"

She slowly turned to face me "I took her to the kids play area where she ran to the swings first, she loved the swings. She was swinging very high and kept laughing and screaming, I told her to be careful but a part of me didn't want her to stop. She was beaming and her giggles which made my heart melt. She was shouting 'I can try and touch the sky, Angela look look'. She removed one hand and attempted then fell off. I ran towards her and she was crying. She had a cut on her leg and was crying. It hurt so much seeing her cry and I hugged her telling her she is a beautiful big girl. She eventually stopped crying and I asked if I should kiss the pain away so I did. Every where she pointed that hurt I kissed and she thanked me with a big hug. There was one time she wanted to play mums and dad, she wanted me to be her big sister but I told her to call me mum instead. Everyday we would play that game... It was my favourite" she smiled looking down at her lap

"So you assumed since then you were her mother?" My lawyer asked confused

"Of course, I was there 24/7 because I lived there. Her mother was never around, a very useless mother she was. I was honestly her mother"

"So because of the game, you created this impossible fantasy that made you believe you were her biological mother?. You were just stranger to her who was told to do one thing! Supervise the children!"

"And I did! I supervised her!" She yelled in annoyance. "I'm her mother and no one in this court can tell me any bloody difference!"

My lawyer looked down at the paper he was reading. He put it down and touched the bridge of his nose looking as though it was affecting him personally. I felt bad.

"And your partner? Let's discuss him. You knew he was abusing her, why didn't you stop him? You claim she is your daughter, why didn't you stop him?

My eyes darted towards her. She didn't answer his question but smile like a mad woman she is.

"Defendant answer" the judge spoke looking above his glasses.

Her bottom lip quivered as she shivered looking at her trembling fingers.

"I was scared?" She whispered looking up at my lawyer.

"Did your partner abuse you too?"

"OBJECTION" her lawyer said standing up

"Overruled" the judge said calmly. Her lawyer didn't seem impressed at all. She rolled her eyes and sat down placing her balled up fists on the table.