Chapter 51- Something Personal

Whoa Baby

Chapter 51- Something Personal

"If you believe you shall receive; whatever you ask in for prayer." Matthew 21:22

I knocked on the Ace's front door excitedly waiting for someone to open it. Though it was insignificantly cold at the moment I could still see my breath, partly because it's almost nine in the morning. Thankfully at the moment it wasn't windy. A couple of seconds later JC opened the door letting me in. Quickly I got inside feeling the wind just about to start. With a smile I walked in and put the baby carrier down.

"Hey! What's up?" I asked, unzipping my jacket. Without even an answer I looked in the bag I had in my other hand, "So I was at the store and I noticed that paint your mom likes was on sale so I got some for her!" I said excitedly showing him a pint of paint. "And then I found these brushes and I guess they were marked wrong so they gave it to me for the marked price." I looked up and found him staring at me with his hands in his black dress pants. I narrowed my eyes at his dress up. Black trousers, white shirt, navy blue tie; hands in his pockets like he always stands. "Why are you dressed like that? It's not Sunday." I comment.

JC sighs running his hands through his hair for a moment. "I don't think it's a good time for you to be over."

Worriedly I looked at him putting the other bag down on the ground, "Is everything alright?" I asked. He licked his lips and looked away to the baby. I wonder who died.

"My father has a court hearing today." He whispered, "He's asking for an early release due to good behavior. Parole." My mouth hung ajar as he spoke with such instability. It seemed as though his mind was locked up in a dark place as he relived his traumatic past. It must explain the faint purple under his eyes from lack of sleep.

"JC I'm so sorry." I whispered not knowing what else to say. Jim Ace supposedly is locked up for six years. He still has two years of that sentence to make up for. Would they really let that monster out after all he's done? We stood there for quite some time in front of each other, not saying a word. I didn't know what else to say. What do you say when things like this happen? Hell, I didn't even know this was happening!

Carrie walked by holding something in her hands as she walked up to JC. She didn't spot me until she recognized JC staring at me. "Oh, hi Paisley." She greeted softly. Her eyes cascaded back to the ground once she finished saying hello. It was the first time I ever saw Carrie Ace in a dress. Nothing fancy, but still, a dress. It was dark gray, charcoal to be exact. With navy or darker gray polka-dots. It was cotton, a dress that maybe you'd wear to the beach or on a relaxed autumn day. It hit just above the knee, short sleeve, with a matching braided belt around her waist. She wore familiar black flats and her wild, caramel, wavy hair captured in a bun.

"I'm sorry to come by unannounced. But I found the paint you like. It was on sale. I thought I'd bring it to you." I mention pointing to the bag on the floor with my head. I pick it up anyways handing it to her.

A shadowy grin came across her lips as she looked down at the bag in my hand, and that was now in hers. "Thank you." She said politely. She looked down at the object she had in her hand, looking at me she narrowed her eyes, "Um, do you think this looks good?" She asked putting a necklace up to her neck. It was a simple gold chain with a red pendent dangling.

I nodded my head grinning, "It gives the outfit some color." She nods her head gesturing to JC to help her put it on. We stood there awkwardly and quietly for some moments until I realized I should get going so they could do what they needed to do. "I should leave. I don't want to hold you guys back." I comment zipping up my jacket. I turn around grabbing the baby carrier off from the floor. Colton was still sleeping.