Chapter 5

I grunt and stand up pushing the chair into the table. I go outside and sit down next to Peeta in total silence. We sit like that for a while. It was times like these I wish I could know what he's thinking about. 

"Did you see him?" he asks quietly "Did he give you that in person"

"No, he didn't. I went to the meadow house and it was stuck on the inside of the door with this." I say handing him the knife.

He turns it over in his hand, sighs and sets it down on the ground. 

"Do you still love him?" 

"What?"

"Do you still love Gale? Please be honest with me Katniss, you owe me that much."

I know I can answer that question honestly. Ever since I said I do those many years ago, I knew I could never go back. I promised Peeta I would always love him, and I never break my promises.

"I could never love him again, and you know that. He destroyed hundreds of innocent lives during the rebellion including......." I trail off. I can never admit that shes gone.

"Including Prim's." he finishes for me. He leans towards me and puts his head in my lap, and leaves it there for so long I'm afraid he's having a mental relapse as he does every so often. 

"Plutarch called." he says

"He did?"

"Yeah, He says we need to come to the New City. That a train will be arriving tomorrow morning. And that there will be a surprise waiting for us. It will be just you and me, no kids."

I nod my head to acknowledge what he said, but my focus is lost when I see a small light at the edge of the forest, it looks like a lantern, but I can't quite make it out. 

"Peeta, look" I say pointing

He lifts his head, and follows my gaze to where the light is. 

"Yeah, what is it?" he asks

"It looks like a trespasser, with a lantern." I reply

"But what is he doing at this time of day? It's really late."

"I'm going to go check it out" I say "Go get Haymitch, to keep an eye on the kids, then meet me in the meadow." 

"Sure, but be careful." 

" 'kay"

I grab my bow, and watch as he struggles to run down the steps and sprint to my old mentor's house, where I'm sure he is stumbling around drunk, as usual.

I jog to the edge of the woods.