Chapter 8

Peeta's face looks so sincere it's almost funny when I'm finished telling him. We sit in silence until I suggest we go talk to Haymitch.

  "First, we need to take care of that sprained wrist, but I agree, we need to go and get Sage and Rose from him, we might as well go and talk to him..." Peeta says.

I gasp
"You let the kids stay the night there? Peeta, that's awful! How could you leave them in that toxic wasteland!!!"

"Now it's you who needs to calm down. I figured you would be a wreck this morning and needed a break, besides by the time I got you home it was too late and they were already asleep." He says

I roll out of bed trying to shake off the pain in my wrist.

"Doing that is just going to make it worse you know"

"Don't look so smug" I snap

I hold my arm out to him and he gently wraps it, and seals it with a kiss. I quickly with help from Peeta, throw on some clothes, and we run to Haymitch's.

As i expected, Rose was trying to entertain my cranky son outside. My kids love the outdoors as I did when I was their age. This meant that Haymitch was most likely passed out inside.  Peeta whispers something to Rose and  she picks up the baby and  starts to walk home. 

Peeta grabs my hand and we push the door open, we find a sober, wide awake and alert Haymitch sitting at his kitchen table, talking to a girl who was perfectly flawless. White blonde curls bounced when she turned and noticed us. She looked very familiar, but I couldn't place it. She smiles. Then it hits me. I cling to Peeta's arm and gasp. She is the living embodiment of the late President Snow.

This is his granddaughter...