Chapter Four - The Challenge

Chapter 4 - The Challenge

Three adults stand in front of us:  One who is no longer trusted by my father; one who would kill me with one blow; and one who knows my weaknesses and fears.  I don’t trust this trio.  I stand with my best friend on my right.  We both try to stand proud, strong.  We wait to be questioned, ordered, and chosen.  Eventually the trio remember that we are present.  Both Cane and the doctor stare at us, but Luca stares only at the floor.  Cane clears his throat, preparing to speak.

“Okay, here’s what you’re both going to do.  You are positioned on a lift type mechanism.”  Kayla and I both turn our attention to our feet. “Once we send you down you are to follow the designated route, which is shown by the arrows painted on either side.  Avoid obstacles, run fast, run hard and get to the end as quickly as you’re tiny little bodies can carry you.”

It takes a moment to collect the information but I find that Kayla and I nod at precisely the same time.

“Good” Cane turns towards the doctor who steps forward.

“Before you start I shall share some information.” She says plainly. “Both of you are the highest ranked estimated successes; which means we expect great things from you, no matter what obstacles are between you and that finish line.”  She looks at me quickly but I catch her look of distress.  Why is she sorrowful? I ask myself.  Leaving me wondering and slightly uncomfortable about something she returns to her place.

Cane nudges Luca with his elbow and Luca turns sharply away from us.  Pulling a lever he starts lowering us down.

We jolt a little as the lift stops.  I look instantly to the walls; Cane had said the direction would be shown on the walls.  I find the luminous yellow painted arrow about the same time as Kayla does.  Glancing at each other we sprint.  The room is filled with what seems to be a manmade forest; Trees, leaves, twigs, birds, streams.  With no time to spare I focus on the task ahead.  I jump over the first ditch with ease.  Kayla tails by a millisecond.

Suddenly a tree falls right in front of where I am.  Kayla takes the lead as she has more time to react, climbing fast she scales the huge log.  After she has finished she helps me over when I am near the top.  We jump together.  The leaves rustle as we run.  I feel light, swift and free.  The twigs scratch my arms and face.  My breathing is jiggered and short.  I hear something unusually mechanical although I see nothing.  I slow down.  Kayla slows as well, but she does not hear anything.

“Keep moving.” I tell her.  Ignoring the sound I continue along the assault course.  Then I realise what the sound was.  My right leg begins to feel tense, specifically my knee.  What once was fine was slowly deteriorating.  The pressure on my leg is unbearable.  I have to return to a slower run, faster than a jog but slower than a sprint.

The contraption continues to squeeze my knee cap.  I collapse under the pressure of my own body weight.  Kayla almost wails.  As I collapse I roll down a slope.  Kayla chases after me, trying to help however she can.  I try to get back up but my knee is completely useless.  Angrily I scream, both from pain and pure ferocity.  As Kayla tries to help me I up I scramble with the device.  Our time will have slowed; I don’t want Kayla to fail because of me.

“Go!” I scream at her.

“But…” she begins but I cut her off.

“I said GO!” I bellow, like a roaring tiger.  She takes off like a deer, elegant yet impossibly fast. 

Struggling with the trap around my knee I can’t get it off.  Instead I grab a twig and temporarily wedge it between the device and my knee.  The pressure lessens only a tiny amount.  Nevertheless I am determined to finish.  Pushing myself up I retire to leaning weight to my left.  Come on! I think.  I see movement behind me, another obstacle but I have to out run it.