Prologue: Reminiscing

I had it all. 

Or at the very least, I had everything I wanted.

I had a boyfriend I'd loved more than anything. I had found my parents. I had a daughter. And even though my best friend was murdered, I was still doing okay for myself. 

Everything was seemingly going fine. I’d adjusted to motherhood, Jason and I were engaged, we were on the run, yes, but things were absolutely fine.

Then my world turned upside down. 

I had awakened the inferus. It was a species that died out long before I came along and the history went back thousands of years. The worse part about that is no one knew how or why I reawakened them. I hadn’t done anything in particular to spark their interests.

Turns out that the broad scope of powers I possessed included reincarnation. It was a rare power that, until three years ago, everyone thought had died out along with the inferus. On top of that, there were a few other rare powers that had extinct, and now everyone around me was questioning if I had them. If I did, I was absolutely… Lethal. However, there was no telling if I did or didn’t possess such powers.

The legend behind the formerly extinct inferus was that there was a witch named Grace. She was horribly disfigured by her violent husband who found out she had been unfaithful. Grace cast a spell, which gave her the ability to reincarnate herself and allow her to seek vengeance on her husband. 

Except, her spell went wrong. Instead of reincarnating her, it left her in spirit form. She'd ended up killing her husband. But he returned, however he was faceless and she felt powerful, renamed herself Bellator. Everyone she killed turned into these horrible creatures. Thus the inferus were born. Eventually when she'd killed enough, she took physical form and caused world damnation and domination. 

Five witches of all elements, (fire, water, earth, air, and spirit) fought in a battle that claimed thousands of lives, human, supernatural and otherwise. They killed Bellator, and trapped her ashes in stone, separate from her spirit (which they trapped in another stone), and buried her deep in the earth. 

When she died, all of the inferus died off too. Which is why we have no idea how, or why the inferus are back. And we have no idea how to kill them. 

She gave us 121 weeks to run, and we're on week 156.