Chapter Nine: Full Disclosure

"Is the baby okay?" I asked as I looked at the fluorescent ceiling lights pass one by one. "Jason..."

"I'm right here, sweetheart." I could hear his voice cracking. "I'm so sorry."

"She's crashing!"

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I opened my eyes slowly and spotted the annoying machine mocking my heart beat. I wanted nothing more to rip the oxygen thing out my nose. My stomach was hurting and I was fearing the worse.

"Jason?" My voice sounded dead. Within seconds he was at my bedside. The whites of his silver eyes were red as if he's been crying and that almost never happened. "Bet this isn't how you imagined our honeymoon."

He gave me a small laugh. "No, by now you were supposed to be in a bikini on the beach."

"Is..." I trailed off. I was afraid to ask. I was afraid that Ryder had taken our child from us. "Is the baby okay?"

"I don't know, Chels," He sniffled. "I told them to wait to check until you woke up... I thought... I thought you'd want to know."

"I would." I agreed. "Did they cut off my wedding dress?"

He laughed again. "No, I took it off before they could. I thought you'd be upset if they did."

"I would. And when I find Ryder I will kill him for getting blood on my dress." I muttered and I meant it. It was a beautiful dress and expensive at that. But I wasn't so much upset at what happened to my dress as I was with what took place. 

"Trust me, sweetheart. I'm going to beat you to it. The triplets are looking for him now. Your family is here though. And by that I mean most people from the wedding are here." He brought up. I sighed. My family was such worriers. I'm not... Dead.

"Mrs. McGowan?" A nurse asked as she wheeled in some equipment. "Mrs. McGowan?"

"Right, that's me. I'm sorry." I apologized once I realized she was talking to me. She gave me a laugh and shook her head.

"Don't worry about it. It took three months for me to answer to Mrs. Danielson." She recalled.

"Anyways, I'm here to do an ultrasound and check your baby's heartbeat. It was a nasty stab wound, Mrs. McGowan."

"I know," I sighed. "I just want to know if our baby is okay."

"Your husband was very determined not to let them check on the baby until you woke up." She mentioned as she spread cold gel over my stomach. I'm sure this wasn't my first ultrasound but it felt weird to me.

"If it's good news, I want to share it with my wife and if it's bad news, I wanted us to be able to console each other." He mumbled although it wasn't intentional. His eyes were fixated on the screen and his hand was clutching mine.

"You've got a sweet man," She said in awe. "Well here's your baby. He or she appears to be fine, at least visually."

That took some of the pressure off me. But I knew there was a chance my baby was laying there with no heartbeat.

She put a Fetal Doppler up to my stomach and we heard nothing but the silence slicing through the air. I could feel tears building up in my eyes as she searched and search for a heartbeat. I squeezed

Jason's hand ready to give up hope that the baby could survive a stabbing and such duress.

Thump thump thump

"Looks like you have a fighter in here. The heart beat is a little on the slow side, but, once you start making a recovery, your baby will be fine.”