Chapter Thirteen: Happy Endings

The thing about happy endings is, they're the result of choices. 

The funny thing about choices is, they don't always have happy endings. 

It's kind of like how in math they teach you that a square can be a rectangle, but a rectangle can't be a square. As if that made sense. But those were the rules, and we abided by them whether we wanted to or not. 

When I was ready to go out and make my announcement, I made my choice stay in my room. I needed to break the news my family and friends. No doubt, I would be breaking someone's heart. I didn't know how Jaclyn would take it. I just needed to get my barring together and just go out there.

But god I wish I could have a shot of tequila before I did. I just knew I was going to hurt someone's feelings and it killed me. I knew it was inevitable; someone would get hurt because of me

Regardless, I took a deep breath and left to face the people I loved, to tell them my heart breaking decision. 

Once I appeared, they all stopped talking which made me feel uncomfortable. It’s always weird to walk in a room and know that everyone around you had been talking about you. But I stood in front of them trying to stand tall, but I felt guilty. I felt like I was letting someone die by letting someone else live, and that’s not how I wanted things to end.

"I know you're all wondering why I called you here. I'm not sure to what extent my mom has told you so I'll just start from the beginning. 

"The angels called me to almost scold me for my life choices that prevented me from being a guardian angel. Nevertheless, they informed me that because of a faux pas, they offered me the choice of a life time," I could feel the tears rushing down my face before I even got the words out my mouth. "They told me I could bring back one person back from the dead. And I know you all think that that was the easiest decision for me to make but it wasn't. It wasn't clear-cut as you think and I really don't want you all to hate me-"

"We could never hate you, Chelsey, regardless of your choice." Kyle mentioned although I knew it killed him to think I didn't choose Mina. That just made everything a whole lot harder, but I trudged on.

"Thanks, Kyle." I then continued to explain what was going on. "But I knew I had to choose what would be best for all of us, which was Lincoln." 

"I have to admit, I didn't see that coming." Travis muttered under his breath. Everyone else wholeheartedly concurred with him, as expected. A second later he walked out of my room, everyone looked at him.

"But I had to choose who was more important to us." 

"Daddy!" Jaclyn jumped out of her seat and ran over to hug Jason. He picked her up and held her close as if she was going to disappear in an instance. The tears continued to flow down my face as I saw my daughter be reunited with her father.

"I chose Jason because he is your friend, your alpha, my husband, and the father of my children. Lincoln is a great man, and I miss him dearly. He's an asset to us, but Jason means more to everyone emotionally more than strategically. And we need him." I explained. I was pleasantly surprised that everyone also agreed wholeheartedly with my true decision, although I'm sure some of them thought I was being selfish. 

"The angels thought my decision was a good decision, I didn't base it on what I wanted, but on what everyone needed. And the awarded me for that."

My bedroom door opened again and everyone's face dropped to the ground. Kyle rushed over to me, kissed me on the cheek and went to his beloved girlfriend who was being held in a bear hug by Sky. Lincoln and my mom were in a tight hug, and Tate and Sky were all over Jason. Everyone was happy.