Chapter Three

"How does this work?" I asked Harry. He was showing me this weird painting technique that Zayn showed him. He cracked an eggshell and I just threw my arms up in frustration.

"Who needs to make paint from food anyways? We're not poor!" I screamed. I hated art class. I hated painting. Not because I ducked because I believe I was average at it. It's just the fact that I always got paint on my clothes and Louis always tore me a new one if I came home with paint on them.

"Excuse me, um can I join you guys?" A rich voice asked. It wasn't too deep or too high, just more melodic. I turned and saw the buff quarter back guy with the kind face.

"Sure." Harry answered for me since I was an open mouthed fool. I looked at the guy as he sat down beside us looking at the various organic paints.

"Umm, I hope you guys don't mind that I have no artistic talent what so ever." He said with a gentle smile.

"Do you see what I'm making, um?" I asked him.

"Liam. Liam James Payne." He told me.

I smiled at coincidence and Harry flat out burst into giggles. Liam had a confused expression as he tried to understand what was going on. "Niall James Horan." I whispered to him.

He looked at me, realization etching on his face. "Nice to meet you James."

"Same to you James." I said.

"Well I'm Edward!" Harry offered up. "Harry Edward Styles." He said. I smiled at my best friend who was smiling at Liam and then he looked at me and winked.

I blushed as I turned back to Liam who looked at the whole exchange with a curious expression. I smiled at him, not sure exactly what to say. I ran out of words just that fast. All I could say was my name! I'm a fucking imbecile.

"So you must be new here." Harry commented. I was an imbecile with the best sidekick in the world. That's right Harry just keep him talking so I could conjure up something, anything to say.

I watched as the brown haired boy chatted, his unshaven face aging him beautifully to maturity. His biceps rippled as he talked about whatever, his brown doe eyes holding a firm contact with my owns even though he was talking to Harry.

I felt Harry nudge me in my arm, forcibly dragging me out of the sea of milk chocolate that was Liam's eyes. I snapped my head towards him and he motioned with his eyes to the back of the room, where the extra paintbrushes were housed. I rolled my eyes and got up as we walked to the back of the room and away from Liam.

"Oh my fucking gosh, that guy is a class A hottie!" Harry said, gushing like a fan girl. I smirked and rolled my eyes at him, though on the inside I was totally agreeing and screaming loud enough to fill a stadium. "You two need to talk, if you can open your mouth and stop gushing!"

I took a chance, peeking behind me to see that Liam was staring at us. I turned back around quickly, knocking down a few paintbrushes. Harry swallowed a giggle as he bent down to assist me. The rest of the class disregarded us as just a nuisance as I felt a hand touch mines. I looked over into Liam's eyes, both of our hands hovering over the same paintbrush. Harry scattered away, making himself scarce like a snake and I couldn't help but laugh. If he was as talkative with Zayn as he was with Harry maybe Zayn wouldn't think we were a thing.

"Niall?" Liam asked me, catching me off guard. I looked at him, smiling softly.

"Yes?"

"Are we ever going to finish picking up the brushes?" Liam asked. I nodded like an idiot, my fingers grabbing the brush. I felt the absence of Liam's hand, agony washing over me as I was filled with a foreign sadness.

"Want to hang out later today?" He asked me. I looked up at him as he finished his statement in a quick rush. "You know we can finish our paintings and stuff." 

"Ummm-" I started, my words getting stuck in my throat. 

"Yes, you can both come to my house and we can all finish painting!" Harry chimed in, causing a couple of people to stare at us.

"Why not go to your house Niall?" Liam asked me.

"Because..." I couldn't think of what to say. That I didn't have a house? That I had a boyfriend? That I lived with my boyfriend? My very, abusive, judgmental boyfriend?

"His dad's a total twat!" Harry lied through his teeth. "His father hates whenever Niall has company over. He won't give us privacy and if he thinks things are too out of line or whatever he starts yelling and might get abusive." Harry said and I gave him a look. A serious 'What The Fuck' expression. 

The bell rang and we all looked up in surprise, not really wanting to go. It was Liam who was prepared once he handed me a sheet of paper from his pocket. He smiled softly and walked over to his canvas, picking up his art and walked out with the rest of the class. 

Harry peered over my shoulder like the little kid he was on the inside, curiosity gnawing at his insides. I unraveled the paper and looked at the number sprawled on it. Harry immediately took out his phone and typed a number in it and sent his address to Liam.

"Well I guess we have our day planned now." Harry whispered. There was extra weight added to us and I turned around to see Zayn with his crooked toothy grin. 

"Oi, so what are we  going to do after school?" Zayn asked.

"Niall has a paint date with Liam!" Harry said. I elbowed him in the rib and Zayn raised his eyebrows.

"Awww, can I join in on this paint date?" Zayn asked, looking at Harry. "I want to see Niall's new beau!"

"It can be like a double date!" I said, making Harry stiffen. I smiled inwardly. I wonder how he liked being put on the spot like me.

"That sounds excellent Nialler. Maybe I can show Harry some more painting techniques, yeah?" 

"Umm," Harry swallowed loudly. "Yeah, that sounds wonderful!"

**A/N: Finally Liam has been introduced and Harry is setting up paint dates. He's such a little cheeky bastard!**