An Unexpected Call

Two weeks later after our marriage , everything went pretty smoothly.

 I have been doing some shifts at the Diner when Jason needs someone to cover so l have been myself busy along with Jason.

We have been also decorating the house which has been fun making it into a proper home. I woke up this morning in a really happy mood.

I showered and changed into a purple dress with black pumps. I put on makeup and brushed my hair. On my way out l seen the sun shining brightly.

I had a really good feeling it was going to be a fantastic day. With a smile l quickly walked to the diner and once l got there l walked inside with everyone greeting me. I smiled happily as l made my way to Jason's office and opened the door not bothering to knock.

"Hey, how is you today?"

l said walking over to his large oak desk. He was just putting down the phone with a sigh in relief. "ugh, great. You don't know how happy l am to see you though" he said as l sat down on his lap facing him. I leaned forward to kiss him but l was interrupted by a quick sharp knock at the door. Jason sighed with a groaned "Come in "He spoke with annoyance.

A boy came through the door probably about 17 , l noticed him from Jason's employees he was new working here. He seemed terrified but l got off Jason and stood with a reassuring smile to start. Once he saw me smile he smiled back and when he looked at the look Jason was giving him he stopped and turned to him. "ugh...sir. Someone phoned for a Cheryl , they said its important. Its about a delivery that she ordered." he seemed hesitant then walked out the door. I never even ordered anything?. I turned to look at a confusing looking Jason. "I didn't have a delivery"

Jason glanced at me while looking at his paperwork and flicking through them in clearly not amused that he has to work the whole day. "Go and tell them that then" he said easily.

While l walked out the door and walked to the back of the diner to the phone. Once l picked it up l stayed silent until l spoke with confidence

"Hello, this is Cheryl. Ugh l think you got the wrong Cheryl because l defiantly never ordered anything, lm sorry" I said about to hand up but l heard a very familiar voice that sent chills down my spin.

"Cheryl?" l couldn't believe it ?.

How did she get this number. I have been ignoring her calls since the time me and Jason got together and then she just stopped calling and so did Mark.

I thought she gave up. I instantly felt terrible and l wanted to just give her a hug. All the happiness l had before was completely gone and replace with regret and guilt. "Mum" l couldn't say anymore as l burst into tears, l also heard her sob on the line my words.

"Cheryl, why.... You..... You never told me about your father. "She said angry but clearly couldn't keep her emotions in check as she started to cry again on the other line.

I quickly dried my tears and coughed trying to toughen myself up a little t prepare for this talk. "I know, you never gave me much choice though..."l was interrupted "I never gave you much choice!, l only wanted you away from that man you called a father because he was terrible for you, he was a compete mess Cheryl. And even though l felt all those things for him , he still was my husband for 14 years and we did have a child!. Goddamit Cheryl you should have told me. I have been trying to get a hold of you for a year Cheryl. A year!. And not once did you think to try and contact your own mother. After all lve done for you. "She said taking a large breath in between her crying.

I on the other hand was 10 times worse , l was shaking . This has been the moment l was dreading so much, l knew she would get a hold of me somehow."

I even had to hear of your fathers death from your uncle Mic. He thought you told me and when l demanded where you were , he finally gave up after a week and told me that you were staying in is house!.

I didn't have the number there so l went on the phone book and found the diner. "She finished telling me how hard it was to get me. I realised though that he must have not told her about Jason. He must have thought that was personal to tell. "Mum , l tried, l really did. Being with you and ...even Mark"l grimaced saying his name again after all this time.

"It was awful, l just needed to escape .I couldn't take it any longer. I had been speaking to dad even before he was dead with letters. And that's how we talked without you knowing about it. He made my life, he really did. I needed to escape and come here and were l really felt home.

And yes, he made sure that l would feel safe and protected by giving me the house. When l stayed here though, l loved the feeling of being here again. Please , you need to understand, it wasn't my intension to hurt you or anyone else back there. Im sorry l did it the way l did. But it was my only chance to leave and l took it" I said confidently at the end as l remembered the time l was staying there to being here . Feeling so much better l stayed . She was silent for a long moment letting my words sink in. "Okay" was all she said in a low voice.

"Okay?". She then spoke again "I forgive you for doing it , l do realise you need your space and l did put a lot of pressure on you. But please Cheryl, please do this one thing . Come back...."She said crying again. I was about to say no way but hearing her cry made my heart literally split in half. "Okay l will , ill come back . But l want to make sure that you know that l wont be staying there.

This is my home now and lm not going to completely move back to America." i said sternly so she knew l wasn't even considering moving back "Yes!, yes. Deal whatever , just come here as soon as possible . Please l miss you" She said as she spoke quickly which made my heart jump at her words.

"Okay, l love you mum. Ill come as soon as l can!" l hanged up hearing she spoke saying she loved me too. I turned around to see Jason standing in the hall looking at me leaning against the door frame. He looked happy but a little hurt. I stood still looking at him. "Are you going back?" he said sounding worried. "Jason, why are you nervous . I'm not moving there lm just visiting. My mothers worried out her mind, she needs me Jason. She's the only parent l have left. " l spoke sounding irritated to even have to explain. "I know , lm sorry l just don't want you to leave me and realise you regret your decision of even coming here"

He said in a low quiet voice. I walked over to him and hugged him

"Come with me Jason, l know she doesn't know about you and me yet. Bu l want you to come with me . Your my husband now, we will get through this together . I love you and l would never leave you" l said while smiling at him and giving him a small tender kiss.

He then pulled back smiling too "Are you sure, you don't need to bring me if you don't want to". I laughed at his words "Jason, come with me , l want you to come. Now come , it looks like we need to pack" I said as l grabbed his hand in mine and started to walk out the door while Jason was quickly telling an employee that he wasn't going to be here for a while.

They nodded in confirmation and we were off to our home to pack our clothes .

I was going to finally see my mother

after all this time.