The Lost Daughter of Thaumaturgy - Chapter 6

6

          The moon hung low amongst the trees, a cold winter breeze bit at my cheeks and my feet ached from walking all day.

“Mum, I’m tired” Gabe said looking at the watch mum had gotten her for her 12 birthday. Madalein looked tired too, she looks tired all the time, but the last few days especially, she had been too exhausted to even spar.

Ever since she was old enough to walk, Madalein had taught Gabe many different forms of combat, her favourites being Aikido, Kendo and Kapap. Her masters in Japan had said her Aiki was beyond anything they’d witnessed before, especially for a child.

“I know Gabe, but it’s only a little farther to the temples, can you carry on for just a little,” A rustling in the trees stopped her mid-sentence. She looked all around them for the source. For Gabe, instinct kicked in. She had learned many years ago, never to ignore her instinct as they were always correct.

Gabe took hold of her mums hand and pulled her behind a large bush in the middle of some closely grouped trees. Madalein started scanning the area, tying back her long blonde hair and tucking their backpacks deep inside the bush. Gabe looked upwards into the branches of the trees, seeing a thick branch near the top, big enough to hold her weight, whilst keeping her covered.

Scanning around quickly to make sure there was no sign of movement, Gabe crouched low evaluating the angle and power she needed to launch herself to one of the lower branches so she could climb the short distance to the top branch.

With a small huff, she sprang up the length of the trees, her hands grabbing onto one of the lower branches of the tree opposite. Slowly she swung herself back and forth, gaining enough momentum so as she let go of the branch, she flipped, head over feet, until her hands reached the branch on the tree she needed.  She nimbly pulled her body up onto the branch, tucking herself as close to the trunk as possible.

Gabe looked down to where her mother was hidden and smiled as she saw her shaking her head, a look of pride on her face. She quickly threw Gabe the small bag she always wears at her hip and motioned towards the east, signing that she could hear foot falls, three, possibly four men.

Gabe nodded that she understood pulling out 6 throwing stars from the bag and a Glock 17, slamming in a new magazine. She sat quietly, waiting, her eyes examining every square inch of the layout, searching for escape routes and any abnormalities in the scenery.

Before too long, four men emerged from the trees, each carrying AK-101 assault rifles. Gabe looked down to her mother, awaiting the signal to shoot or not.

Madalein watched the men carefully. She knew them of course, she always knew them. Whenever someone was following them, they were always people she had known at one point, before all this started. These men were like all the others, and the ones that are sure to come after this will be much the same.

The first had been a grappling partner for 3 weeks one summer, back when she was at the academy. Another she had been instructed to train as his Bo techniques were incredibly poor. With remorse in her eyes she signalled her daughter to commence fire by facing her palm towards the ground and pointing it left, then right.

Gabe noticed her mother’s signal and took aim at the man farthest away. In past experience the guy who falls at the back draws attention, causing others to turn and see what’s happened, leaving them easier to target.

Breathing in a deep breathe, Gabe squeezed the trigger and watched as the bullet went flying through the air, slicing through the evening breeze, and planting itself in the back of the guy’s head. She smiled as the others turned to see what was happening. Men are so predictable.  She quickly took aim at the next man, his face searching for were the bullet came from. He wasn’t searching for too long.

Holstering her gun in the back of her pants she grabbed 3 throwing stars and rapped her legs around the branch, letting her body fall underneath. Lightning fast she sent the stars speeding across the space between her and the men. The 1st hit its target, landing in one of the men’s leg, another in his forehead dropping him to the forest floor. The 3rd skimming the last man’s cheek. She cursed under her breathe, reaching up again for the remaining stars.

Madalein sat perfectly still in the bush, watching as her 12-year-old daughter effortlessly took out the men from her past. Her face an empty slate, no emotion portrayed, except the small smile when the first bullet hit its target. She hated watching her daughter like this. There was something very disturbing about it, and she hated that she had made her little girl to be this way. She told herself what she did every time she felt the guilt of her decisions, ‘It’s all necessary Mads. She needs to learn to not care about these things. It’ll keep her safe. It’ll save her life.’

That train of thought quickly broke off when the sound of a branch snapping drew her attention back to her daughter. Madalein watched as her only reason for living fell, head first from her perch, revealing herself to the last man standing, blood on his cheek from where the throwing star had missed. He quickly took aim and fired at Gabe. The bullet ringing past Madalein, just missing Gabe.

Gabe tried to grab onto something as she fell, but the branches were too thin and could not hold her weight, her only choice was to fall and try not to land on any major bones. The sound of a bullet being fired drew her eyes to the man she had missed. He was a poor shot, his hands shook and his eyes shifted a lot.

She drew her legs in, twisting, and flipping her body in the short time it took to drop. She landed on her feet, and rolled, lying perfectly still on the floor, one arm under her back.

The man approached slowly, keeping aim, just in case the fall hadn’t killed her. He nudged her foot and waited for a response. Gabe continued to play dead until she heard faint foot falls, and then the sound of an army boots connecting with a jaw. She smiled as her mother engaged the man, knocking his gun out his hands and planting a perfectly positioned blow to the side of his head, continuing with two dozen kidney jabs, dropping the pathetic man to the ground, not having been able to land a single punch on her mother.

Gabe sat up and pulled her gun out from the back out of her pants. Madalein grabbed her hand and pulled her up into her arms, hugging her so tight it became hard for little Gabe to breathe.

“Mum, air, kinda need it,” she joked. Her mother chuckled and loosened her hold on her daughter, refusing to let her completely go. This child’s comedic timing never seized to amaze Madalein.

“How did I do?” she asked in a light-hearted tone. Smiling wide and waiting to hear her mother’s words of praise.

“Great dear”, Madalein said, hiding her fear and forcing a smile, “You were great.”