The Lost Daughter of Thaumaturgy - Chapter 13

13

I woke up around 4am, my throat dry and pillow soaked in salty tears. Too exhausted to get up, I threw the pillow across the room and gathered the duvet under my head, staring at nothing, thinking of nothing.

God knows how long I lay there, but when light started pouring through the window, I figured I should maybe try and move. I rubbed my sore eyes and cringed away when I accidently scratched my eyelid with my nails. 

I rolled out of bed, literally, falling onto the floor with a thud and sat up, not really bothered. I crawled over to the bathroom/ ensuite and pushed open the door. There must have been a movement sensor because a blinding artificial light came on over head.

“Ahh!” I shouted covering my eyes and rolling to my back, deciding the moment called for an impromptu performance of Gabe as ‘The Cockroach!’ my arms and legs flailing about.

“What the hell are you doing?” A male voice asked from the door way. I froze one eye scrunched and closed, my tongue hanging out of my mouth like I’d been electrocuted.

“I’m dying can’t you tell.” I said opening my eyes for a second, then resuming my one woman performance of the circle of life.

“Cockroaches scurry away from light; they don’t shrivel up and die under it.” He pointed out.

“I know that,” I said between twitches, “But my ass is too fat for me to fit in the laundry basket and I’m feeling dramatic so alert the media and tell them the debut for ‘La Cockroach fatale’ will be in theatres everywhere soon.” I said waving him away.

He laughed and shook his head at me, closing the door and leaving me to my Oscar worthy demise. Di Caprio eat your heart out!

After I had died I decided a shower would be best, so I crawled over the curtain liking the coolness of the tiles on my hands and legs, pulled it back and switched it on high. My clothes thrown across the floor had sadly missed the basket, but the hot water running down my back, undoing the knots that were built up overnight was too appealing for me to even bother getting out and putting them in.

Unfortunately though the water ran cold after about 20 minutes, so I turned it off with a resigned sigh and climbed out. Crap. I left my towel in my room. Ah well, at least it’s an ensuite, this would be a lot worse if it were communal. I shrugged and opened my door, heading over to my wardrobe, where I had put away my clothes and towels last night. I grabbed a big white towel and wrapped it around my body, grabbing another smaller one to dry my hair off with.

I turned to grab some underwear from the nightstand and screamed.

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN HERE?!” Typhon was sat up against the door, legs crossed in front of him and a boyish grin on his face.

“Relax!” he said getting up, “I needed to talk to you in private is all.” He explained, walking over and sitting on the bed, “Don’t worry, I didn’t peek... much.” He snickered and I punched him in the shoulder, knocking his ass of the bed and glaring at him.

“GET OUT OF HERE!” I screamed as he scrambled for the door. I stood there livid and pissed off. I stormed over to the wardrobe grabbing clothes not caring if they matched then hurled a load of towels into the bathroom.

The door got flung open out of my way and I stormed through it, my gaze fixed on the feet hanging over the edge of the sofa that just froze. I slowed to a stroll and ended up crouched down in front of Typhon.

“Hay I’m sor...” he started but I cut him off.

“You go in my room again and I will not be held accountable for the things I do.” My tone remained level and monotonous, even scaring myself a little.