Chapter 2: Relationship- Maybe... Maybe Not?

Brandon: ok... So next question... Would you maybe... Would you like to be my gf?

My brain immediately went blank. I was stunned. Brandon never led me to believe that he liked me. I shoved my phone into my pocket, picked up my books andwent to the cafeteria. My group of friend sit at a table in the cafeteria in the morning. I dropped off my stuff and went with Ashley to her locker. We made meaningless small talk as we walked.

"So Ashley, guess what," I said.

"What?" she replied.

"Brandon asked me to be his girlfriend," I told her. She was silent as she took it in.

"Well, what are you going to say?" she finally replied.

"I don't know," I answered, "I don't know."

"Well come over here and give me a hug. You look like you need one," she told me. I smiled for the first time since the text and gave her a hug.

We went back to he cafeteria and I saw that Tiffany and Maggie were there talking to April. I went up and began to talk with them. Just small talk mainly. I wasn't as close with April as Tiffany and Maggie were as they had a class with her while I didn't.

"Can I talk to you guys?" I asked Tiffany and Maggie. "Let's walk," I suggested. Our school is basically a huge circle. In the morning, students usually walk laps around it. We began to walk as I told them what happened.

"Wow," was Maggie's response.

"I don't think you should say yes," Tiffany told me.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because," she began to explain, "he asked me out a couple weeks ago." I was aware of this fact already. She told me right after it happened.

"I know, but I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'm going to think about it," I told her.

"Okay, but I wouldn't say yes," Tiffany warned me. We got back to the cafeteria and I went to get a coffee (something I didn't need at all) and when I walked out, Brandon was standing by our table like he normally does. I froze, and as I did he saw me. We made eye contact for a second before I turned away. I grabbed Tiffany's arm. She grabbed Maggie's arm right before I pulled her out of the cafeteria.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Brandon just walked in," I told her. She understood what I meant as the bell rang.

In my first period class, I couldn't stop thinking about what I should do. My gut was saying that I should say yes. My brain had other ideas though and said no. On the other hand, my heart told me to go for it. I was completely conflicted.

On the bus on the way home, I texted Brandon,

Me: hey... So sorry for not responding this morning. I didn't (and still don't) know what to say. Can you give me time to think about it?

Brandon: hey... That's okay and sure you can have time. :) Can you let me know tomorrow morning?

Me: sure... I will talk to you then... And I'm sorry again.

Once I got home, I decided to use the excuse of cleaning my room so that I can be alone and think. I asked my mom if she could help me for a second so I could ask her opinion.

"Mom," I began, "Brandon asked me if I wanted to be his girlfriend today. I don't know what to say." My mom did not looked at all surprised by my latest news.

"Well," she said, "what do you want to do?" I thought before replying.

"That's the thing, I don't know."

"Well it's your decision so good luck," she said before sherry my room.

After about three hours of "cleaning", I had made my decision. I knew what I would tell Brandon tomorrow morning. I was really pleased that I had made a decision. Then, however, I saw a text on my phone.