5

the next day luke walked in at barely 3 o'clock. he couldn't find a booth because he was so late, so he sat on the spinny chairs over the counter.

"one large strawberry-banana smoothie," abby heard luke give bea his order, "to go please."

abby started making his smoothie, and popped a lid on top. she brought it out to luke. "going somewhere?" she asked.

"yes, and so are you," he said, getting two straws.

abby tried holding back a smile, "where exactly are we going?"

"i don't know. i was thinking you could help me out with that," he said, "this smoothie shack is getting a little old. dontcha think?"

abby shrugged and looked around, "i dunno. i kinda like it here. but yeah sure, we can do something else today."

abby felt like a schoolgirl, waiting for 3 so she could leave. she was giggling, with her chin in her hands, talking to luke over the counter.

this was the first time she had talked to luke from somewhere other then the opposite end of a booth. she noticed more things about him.

he had light blue eyes, dark stubble (that didn't match his hair color at all. she wondered if he dyed his hair blond), a little nose that dips at the end and is so pokable, light eyebrows (which went against her hair-dying theory), and a lip ring.

she noticed his lipring before but never thought much of it. as he talked, she noticed how he played with the lipring. he bit it when he grinned, and he would run his tongue over it after talking for too long.

at three, abby pulled off her apron. before she could leave, bea gave her a face.

"he's strawberry smoothie guy?" bea asked, nodding her head towards the front where luke was sitting.

"strawberry banana," she corrected with a nod.

"okay. i expected him to be like a little dorky kid. that guy is hot. you better talk to calum about it."

"bea. we're just friends. calum has girl friends, i can have guy friends," abby told her best friend.

"hot guy friends?"

"yes."

bea groaned, "be safe. please, you love calum."

"yeah yeah," abby said, pushing bea out the doors before skipping out to see luke.

"were you guys talking about me?" luke teased, running into abbys shoulder as they walked down the sidewalk outside.

abby hesistated.

"oh my god. you were," luke groaned, "i was just kidding but you actually were. what did you say?"

"she thinks we shouldn't be friends, because of calum. but i insisted that are just friends and nothing more," she spilled, knowing she was too bad of a liar to make something up.

luke's shoulders dropped, "who is she?"

"bea."

he nodded, "okay well tell bea i said, and say this word for word, 'i don't try to get with girls who choke on strawberrys and get smoothie on their foreheads'. okay tell her that."

abby tried to look offended but ended up just laughing, "i will tell her you said that. i'm sure that will change her mind about us."

"she better," luke nodded, "so have you thought of anything we could do?"

"i was thinking we could go to the store."

"the store? like what store?"

"i don't know. like ikea."

luke laughed, "do you need a kitchen table or something?"

"no. its just fun."

"how is playing around preassembled furniture fun?"

"you obviously haven't tried it because you would understand," abby grabbed luke's hand and started running towards a nearby bus stop.

luke laughed, "i'm sorry. the thought of furniture doesn't thrill me as much as it does to you."

"thats the weird part about it. its something so boring but it is so fun."

"that makes no sense. but okay ikea it is."

abby giddly clapped her hands and jumped up and down.

(ive never actually been to ikea so im just gonna wing this okay)