12

"hi calum. um this is my seventh time calling today. i'm just going to tell myself that you aren't answering because you hate talking on the phone, and i know you do. but i don't wan't to clear this up with a text," abby held her breath, then let out a long sigh, "oh who the hell am i kidding? i know why you didn't answer and i know how much you must hate me right now. but i really care about you calum. i love you. and i can explain everything that you saw. or heard or whatever. just give me a chance."

she pulled the phone from her ear and hopelessly ended the call. she was on her break for work and she called him every chance she would get.

but every time an automated voice would send her to calums desolate voicemail.

"hey ab. i know it's your break but were super packed. and that smoothie guy is here. he wants a smoothie," bea said over the counter.

abby shook her head and rubbed her temple with her two fingers, "i uh- can you just do it? i really need this break."

"if this is another one of your attempts to get me with luke, i told you i-"

"calum thinks im cheating on him with luke. or cheated, i guess its not really cheating when you aren't a couple anymore," she cut off her friend.

beas mouth widened and she pushed herself behind the counter and sat next to an extremely stressed abby.

"what happened? he broke up with you?"

"well not directly. but he told luke that i was 'all his'. so yes, we are not together anymore," abby informed her friend who was now rubbing her back. abby was trying to be calm about all this but she seemed to snap at everyone who talked to her about it.

"well were you cheating on him? why would he think that?"

abby shrugged, "we were joking around and complimenting each other or something. and i guess calum heard it out of context and missed the whole joke. and he stormed out." she refused to let herself cry but the more she talked about it the worse of a state she was put in, "could you just give luke the smoothie? i don't really want to talk to him any time soon."

wordlessly, bea nodded and got up, making lukes smoothie with little effort. anyone who caused her best friend heartache did not deserve a quality smoothie.

"do you mind if i go?" abby questioned, slowly untying her apron in hopes bea would let her off.

"yea. i mean no. go. get home and forget about it. i've got luke. and the rest of the shop."

abby thanked bea with a small hug and a faint apology then headed for the door.

unfortunately, luke spotted her on her way out and jumped out of his booth, to her. he grabbed her hand in hopes to stop her for a quick talk.

but abbys hand jerked away so fast and she kept walking.

"hey i ordered a smoothie. you were supposed to meet me in my booth," he said, jogging behind ber as she fast walked away from him.

"i though i made it clear i didn't want to. and you said you understood. but here you are, clearly not understanding," she said through gritted teeth.

"yeah but i thought about it. and cutting off all ties with me is not going to help anything with calum. infact, it'll make you worse ab."

"what the hell are you talking about?" she turned to him harshly.

"abby. i know you like calum a lot. and he makes you happy. i see that i really do. but its not like i make you unhappy, at least i don't think i do. and i want to help you through his abby. talk to calum. explain everything."

"well you've made me pretty unhappy now haven't you?" she spat back.

"oh but did i? or did calum?"

she bit her lip and looked at him.

"he's the one who left you."

"you're the one who made him leave me."

"i didn't make him do anything. it was all his choice. he could have stayed and heard you out. but he didn't. and i did abby. i stayed."

"that doesn't make it any better."

"but you left. and honestly i shouldn't be here," he shrugged, "but i am. know why?"

"don't you have a smoothie to drink?"

"i'm here because i care about you. and i feel guilty about what went down. it was never my intention to hurt you or anything. but i like you and i want to make his better. even if it means i lose you to calum, after what he's done to you."

she didn't answer.

"i do feel bad but i will not take the full blame. this whole ordeal is equally split between you, me, and calum."

"you like me?"

luke shrugged, "not so sure now."

"what." her voice was barely audible.

"i'm sorry abigail."

she didn't even correct him this time. she didn't care. all she cared about was her friendship that was on the line.

"what do you think about the circus?" he asked randomly.

she raised and eyebrow and let out a forced, nervous laugh, "what?"

"the circus. like with elephants. and clowns and stuff."

"i guess it's fun..." she trailed off, not sure what he was talking about.

"we could go."

"i thought you didn't like me..."

he shrugged, "not in any way more than a friend. and even if that made a difference, i said i don't know if i do."

she was still confused, "what?"

he threw his head back and let out an overdramatic, exasperated sigh, "oh my god abigail. do. you. want. to. go. to. the. circus?"

"erm i dunno. don't you hate me?"

"if i was gonna let this fight ruin our friendship, i would i swear. and i could. but i'm attempting to make it mean nothing. so circus?"

"why the circus?"

"jesus ab lets just go," he sighed again, grabbing her arm and pulling her to a bus stop.

I FEEL LIKE ITS BEEN FOREVER SINCE IVE UPDATED BUT ITS ONLY BEEN FOUR DAYS