Chapter fifteen

We stopped in front of the castle, the tall, dark, intricate, stone structure loomed over us. The entrance reminded me of a mouth to a great black beast, ready to swallow us whole.

Roma went out first, she jumped out of the carriage, rushing over to Matthew. Matthew was surrounded by guards, when Roma tried to push past them, they shoved her to the ground. Matthew punched the guard who had shoved her. The sound of his knuckles smacking into his hard jaw echoed. The guards instantly began hitting him with the flats of their heavy metal swords.

" Stop!" Roma yelled jumping onto one of their backs, I rushed over pulling her off of the guard.
" Roma! Don't! You'll only make things worse, just relax for a moment please! " I said holding onto her. She burst into tears, trying to wriggle out from my hold.

" Let me go! Let me go, Ailani! Please, it's my fault! I have to help him!" She yelled. I didn't let her go, the guards stopped, picking up Matthew from the ground. His bare back had bruises forming, and a few cuts scattered over them. They dragged him through the doors inside. I followed them still holding onto Roma. She was shaking with fear, and snot leaked out of her nose. Her handmaiden saw us walking in the hallway, she took a handkerchief from the pocket of her apron. She rushed to Roma's side, she wiped her face tenderly.

   " Muriel, please don't bother. No use if I'm just going to be crying again soon after. " Roma said bitterly. She continued walking, staring at the guards who were dragging Matthew to the throne room.
We were almost at the throne room. My mind was racing, I didn't know how to begin begging Harry for mercy. My heart was thumping so hard, it was almost difficult to breath. I can do this.
He must have one ounce of sympathy in him.

   We approached the great throne room. It was bigger then the chapel, more elegant too. It had tall columns attached to the ceiling.
    The two thrones of the King and Queen were silver and gold. They sat side by side on a raised platform with steps.

   The king and queen were alarmed at the sight of us. The queen put her hand over her mouth, she went down the steps from her thrown, rushing over to Roma and I.

   " My dear, what happened? Are you alright?" She gasped. Roma shook her head. She began sobbing even more,
" Your Grace, please forgive me. Have mercy on us, I beg you." She was crying pitifully, the queen looked bewildered.

" Of course, child! Calm down and I'll see what I can do." She put her hand on her cheek, she lead us to the front of the thrones, next to Matthew who was sitting on his knees. He looked to Roma, and she him.

   " Matthew, it's all my fault. We're gonna die because of me-" she cried. He shook his head at her, the look in his eyes showed he desperately wanted to hold her.
    " Roma, it is no ones fault. We'll be alright my love. I promise." He said. His head straining to look around the guards surrounding him.

   " What is the meaning of this?" Rang the voice of King Harold, he was seated at his throne. His eyes wide, the Queen sat back down beside him.

    A guard stepped forward, the one who had almost executed Matthew at the road.

    " My king, we discovered Princess Roma and this commoner during fornication with each other at her home. " the guard announced.

   The king rubbed his beard, the queen wrapped her arm around his.
He sighed, " I have no matter in the say, for I am not your husband...bring Harry at once. "

   A guard rushed out, heading down the north hall to Harry's chamber.
Roma looked at me, " He's going to kill us! He will torture us!" She whispered loudly. I rubbed her arm.

   " I will talk to him." I said. She turned back to Matthew looking at him longingly. Matthew returned the same long gaze to her. We all waited, each moment felt like an hour, every noise made Roma jump. For a second I thought I could hear her own heartbeat.