Chapter thirteen

" Get up! Get up! We're late!" Someone shaking me said. I'm late? For what? The prince! Am I going to be picked? Am I going to be...picked-

" Ailani!" Went the voice again.

" Mother?" I croaked. My eyes squinted, light creating a fuzzy picture of a big poof of red- " No, it's Roma! Get up! But today you will see her, if you'd get up! " she screeched. She was standing beside my bed, she hadn't had a wink of sleep last night, and it was evident by the look of her face.

I jolted up straight, hair was stuck to my face from dried drool, a yawn erupted from me. Roma patted my face, " Up! Up! No time to waste, for the love of my life is only a carriage ride away! " she singsonged into my ear, I laughed pushing her face away.

She dragged me out of bed, then we dragged Amelia out of bed. We were rushing our handmaidens to hurry and help us get ready. Roberta was brushing my hair and helping me get dressed at the same time.

Amelia's handmaiden, Helena, was having trouble with her corset.
" My lady, I believe this is getting a bit tight..the little one must be growing fast and strong!" She smiled.
Amelia rubbed her belly, you still couldn't really tell she was with child.
But it was evident in her clothing.

" I'm so excited to tell my family today, they will be so happy!" She smiled up at us and Helena.
Roberta whispered to me, " You won't be too long either, my lady." She smirked at me. I rolled my eyes my smiling.
Roberta shrugged, " I can here the gods whispering of a great child soon to-"

" Oh, I don't know about that..." I shook my head. She pulled my hair a bit making me laugh.

" Do not test them, child. They can always give you a still, then you would've wished you'd believed." She lectured.

" I'm sorry, I'm sure whatever they decide is best, shall be..." I apologized.
I had no real connection to the gods, for my parents had always had two very different ideas on who or what the gods are said to do or be.
I of course believed in something, but not knowing who is who, has stopped me from living for them.

My mother would have a breakdown, if she knew I wasn't committed to the Ostham gods.
I miss her. And father.

       Once I was done getting ready, including Roma and Amelia, we gathered our gifts from Harry's room. He was in there sitting in his arm chair, he hadn't pursued any of us since last week.

   He watched us two gather our things, Roma and I. Amelia was fetching her cake from the kitchen. Servants helped us carry our things, guards leading us to where the carriages were parked outside. As I was leaving, helping the servants pack our ride, I noticed Harry talking to the guards. I could hear what he was ordering.
" Check on them at lunch, always stand outside their homes. Bring them back before dinner. " he dismissed them. Roma climbed in at the same time. We sat across from each other, Amelia would be taking a separate one, for she lived on the other side of town.

" Roma, the guards will be checking on us at lunch, so be careful with Matthew." I warned. Roma nodded her head, it was a dangerous thing for both of us. Affairs are not to be careless about. Her eyes were out the window, gazing into the direction of our homes.

" I couldn't sleep...what if he is with someone else? What if-" she said in a wobbly voice.

" No, don't think that. He said he would love you, and know one else but you, now if we know Matthew, then we know it to be more then true." I grabbed her knees. She drew a shaky breath, it was as uneven as the dirt road we rode on. She rubbed her face, when they left, she was smiling to herself. Her red hair forming a perfect poof, cradling head.

" I'm being silly aren't I? I know my Matthew, he'd wait for me till the Sun's light shone no more. I'm just-so scared. I've gone so long without him, dreaming, longing, and regretting. It seems as if this isn't even real, it seemslike another cruel trick of Harry's. "