Chapter eleven

Griffin's P.O.V
** Third day of traveling to Bedlok **

    We were close to the border, about another days travel. As the forest came to an end, we were nearing the last city before the border. Cornet.
It was a very big, rich city in Ostham.
It had a big market in the slave cartel.

    Ostham has been an official country for about 180 years. We were once under the rule of Bedlok's empire, it was a great empire that spanned out from shore to shore. Bedlok had successfully taken over six countries, we were apart of the original Bedlok boundaries, and a little bit of uncharted areas. Eventually in ' The Great Rule '
Our now sister country, Vera, had began convincing city after city to join the rebellion against Bedlok.

    How Vera had managed to convince countless cities to take back their land, under Bedlok's empire at the time, was a complete mystery to me.
Vera took back their land directly north of us. They helped the cities, where Ostham is this day,  form an economy.

    Ostham eventually grew, a noble family took the crown ( my mother's and king Harold's family ). We established borders, Vera to the north, Bedlok to the east, and Ailani's land to the south. We had good farming land, and we're constantly raiding near by lands for the slave trade. My old opinion was that the slave trade is a necessary part of our economy, but Ailani has definitely influenced my thinking. She is very intelligent, and can hold a good case. I remember the exact conversation we had, that rainy day in the library.

" I don't know.." I sighed. We were sitting at the table in the poetry section as usual.

" What do you mean you don't know? It's black or white, yes or no, nay or yay, slavery or no slavery? " she exclaimed. She looked at me with intensity, she was ready to argue about this. It was a touchy subject, I understand why it's necessary yet I don't...it's just a gray area. I tried my best to explain it.

" It's not just yes or no....slavery was one of the solid foundations Ostham was founded on, when we raid other lands and bring back slaves, that's money. That's what feeds so many people. I don't love slavery, I think it is unfortunate that's how the world works, but I'm not the creator of all this." I looked at her, she was listening to what I had to say sincerely. I waited for her rebuttal.

" I get it. I understand it makes us money...but I don't think you understand what the slaves are thinking. What my father was thinking.
He told me that when he was a slave they had treated him like a dog, they starved, beat, and worked him till he was my age. Money can feed people. But I don't see why we have to be so barbaric to get it, why can't we just expand, join forces, and trade? That seems like a more rewarding way to make money."
She had to take a few breaths after that, she had said it so fast yet so clear.
She had a way of talking that made me question what I had already thought I knew the answer to.

Which is of my many favorite qualities about her.

  She never left my mind as we neared the walls of Cornet, we approached it's large wall, Cornet had structured a large stone wall and gate that formed a big circle. They say it's to protect from Bedlok, but rumors say it's to keep the slaves and people from escaping.

   I was curious to see what was so abnormal about this city. For I had only ever been outside its walls.
   My men were getting tired, it was nearing dark, and the beasts of the night were waking. I had about ten people with me.
I had my officer Addams, Agnus, Hannibal, Bruce, a few lowly guards, some royal officials, and a messenger bird. I could see the light from a two guard's torches at the gate. They noticed our group midst the
wilderness.