•Eighteen•

[the song for the entire book is I Don't Care If You're Contagious. I don't really care if it doesn't have the same meaning but when I think of the song the first thing that comes to mind when I'm writing in this book]

The first time it happened was a few weeks before the art competition.

Ashton and I were on our way over to his house when he complained about his back strangely aching. "Just didn't sleep right last night. Probably just that stupid mattress." He assured, but it kept happening throughout the week. His mum seemed to notice as well, she was giving him more pain relief pills than usual, something she hasn't done before.

One day she pulled me aside while Ashton was getting his sketchbook from his room.

"I warned you about this and it's happening." She warned. "You knew that he was dying and you didn't leave while you could."

"I can't leave him now!" I hissed. "If you haven't noticed already, I care about Ashton too much to leave before he dies. This isn't some kind of-"

"Before who dies? Where's Luke leaving to?" Ashton asked from the doorway.

I stared at the doorway with wide eyes. "Nobody's dying. You just misheard us. Go in back to your room I'll be back soon." I snapped quickly. I could visibly see Ashton flinch and look down at his lap.

I was flooded with a wave of guilt and rushed over to Ashton's side, holding him tightly. "I'm so sorry princess-"

"Princess?" His mum asked with a glare. "Luke you tell me what's going on right now or so help me-"

"It's an inside joke." Ashton assured. "He always calls me that as a joke because it makes me laugh. He just said it to cheer me up."

Ashton smiled at his mum and wheeled back towards his room. His mum glared at me and lowered her voice.

"If you aren't going to follow my orders then I'll take matters into my own hands." She said angrily. "There's a therapy program I found in New York that could possibly save Ashton's life. The money from this art competition could be enough to get him into the program."

My eyes widened and I looked down at the table where my art folder was laying. "Does this mean-"

"If you win you get the money, if Ashton wins he'll live, but you won't ever see him again."

Or; if I win I'll live and Ashton dies, but if Ashton wins I'll die and Ashton lives.

[short short short but I don't give a shit

I don't ship Lashton that much anyway so idc]