•Fourteen•

[this is technically a double update bc I updated at like one in the morning last time I checked

I'll try to get to chapter sixteen by the end of the week where some major shit goes down]

I waited in the waiting room while Ashton was still in therapy. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for my name to be called. The nurse had surprisingly let me have a free appointment since she knew Ashton personally because of him coming here all the time.

"Luke Hemmings?" The nursee called me up to the front desk. I signed a paper quickly before following a doctor into a room with an x-ray machine on the wall.

"Go stand over there." He pointed to the machine. He handed me a baby blue hospital shirt. "Take off your shirt an out this on."

I did as I was told and stood behind the machine. My hands were shaking extremely hard for no reason at all. I was always scared of doctors.

A loud whirring sound filled the room and a few lights flickered on the machine for a few seconds before everything turned off. I did the same thing facing the left, the right, my back, then stepped back from behind the machine and put my shirt back on. It felt a lot better than the papery hospital shirts.

"Your results will be back in a few minutes. Just wait there." He pointed to an office on the other side of the room with chairs from the waiting room and a wooden desk.

I took a seat in one of the squeaky chairs and waited for about five minutes before a different doctor came in the room and sat at the desk.

"I have your results." He smiled friendlily. He slid a Manila folder across the desk and I opened it up. Inside were four copies of the x-rays taken just a few minutes ago.

"Do you have asthma?" He asked, writing things down onto a clipboard on his desk. I shook my head no. Other questions followed like 'do you work with heavy machinery on a daily basis?' or, 'are you in any sports?'. I answered no for almost all of the questions.

"Do you smoke?" He finally asked. I nodded slowly and ducked my head down in shame.

The doctor sighed and pointed to the picture of my lungs. "That's the problem right there." He circled a white spot on what appeared to be my right lung with a red sharpie. "Do you see that mark? That's inflammation caused by smoking. How many cigarettes do you smoke a day?"

"About five." I answered truthfully.

"Have you ever felt randomly faint or had trouble catching your breath lately?"

I shrugged and started picking at the loose threads in the uncomfortable, gross colored pea-green chair. "Yeah. A lot in the past six months."

"I don't really know what to tell you, then." The doctor sighed.

"Tell me. I can take it. I just found out the one I care about most isn't going to live to be twenty one, I'm pretty sure I can take anything at this point."

He sighed again and slid the folder over to my side of the table. "If you want me to tell you honestly then I'll tell you honestly. You've got cancer."

[im so evil

That was so short, but there will be fluff (and maybe smut) coming up very soon.]