Chapter 1

Every night I can't sleep. 
I hear the deep breathing of everyone else in the room as they sleep silently. I'm afraid someone will wake up and hurt me.I've done too much and they can't find out I'm this way. Suddenly I hear someone's breath catch as they wake up. I'm too scared to move and I lay breathless in fear. After a long while, no one gets up. I realize then that I am living in fear and I need to leave this place. I grab my already packed bag and my lyric notebook and slip my cold black shoes on. As quietly as I can, I walk by everyone else and silently say goodbye even though I know I won't miss them. My hand finally reaches the door handle and I take off into the night.

I knew vaguely of where I was going but had no idea how to get there. The concert was supposed to be in Jerome Schottenstein Center and I want to sit outside and try and hear the music. I walk down the streets of Columbus that I knew so well from my sad and lonely childhood. However, tonight the city felt different. I was alone and I was free for once. I breathe in the cold air and tug my sweatshirt closer. Then I start to see the cars. For miles and miles and miles they are parked. People must have been camped out for days just to get in by the looks of it. I would never have the money to go to an actual concert, so just sitting outside and hearing a bit will be all I can get. Finally, I see the building and feel the thump of the beat coming from inside. My heart starts to beat a little bit faster and I start to run. I get to the doors but I already know they are locked and security is just inside. I walk around the building trying to find a place to sit and listen in as I do. Around the back, I slide my back down the brick wall and sit to listen. 

"This is what has kept me going for all these years," I think as I hear Tyler sing the words of Guns for Hands.

 I sing along to the lyrics the whole time enjoying every second. I don't even think about tomorrow, when I will have no food, no home, and nobody. The darkness starts to creep in then, as I hear them play Trees; the last song at every show. I close my eyes and tears slide down my face, knowing that tomorrow will come. 

I must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I remember was someone shaking me awake.

 "Hello! Wake up! Do you have anyone with you?" I hear a voice say. 

I perk up immediately because I know that voice, and I would recognize it any where. That was the sweet voice of Josh Dun. I look up and see his tomato red hair, so vibrant in the night, almost completely covered by a skeleton snapback. He has on a white shirt with a black shirt over it, and black jeans. His little squinty eyes look down at me and I can't breathe nor think. 

Somehow I finally manage, "No, No. I'm all alone." 

"Ok, well do you have a ride home?" he asks. 

"No, because I have no home. I just ran away from the adoption agency tonight, but it was never home," I say.

 He then gets up and tells me to stay there. He walks away and hops into a nearby bus. I can peak into the windows and see that he is in what looks like a deep conversation with some other people. After what seems like hours, he finally comes back out and walks over to me in his black combat boots. 

"Well, it looks like you will be coming with me," he says with a slight smile on his wonderful face.

 He offers his hand down and helps me get settled into the bus. I'm still in shock as I squeeze by Tyler, Mark, and Jenna in the bus. I hardly speak at all and they look at me oddly and make me think I've done something wrong. Josh leads me to their bus bunk beds and tells me to get some rest because I seemed tired. I know I shouldn't be able to sleep like any other night, but somehow I fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.