Chapter: 28

After I hung up with Alice, I immediately called Bella. It went straight to her voicemail. I tried again... and again and again. Then, after the fifth time, I left her a message.

"Hey, Bella. It's Edward. I guess your phone's off, but I, uh, I really need you to call me back, okay? I... I talked to Alice. She told me what happened. Listen, Bella... just... please call me back. Um, bye."

I tossed my phone aside and started pacing the room. I ran my hand over my hair again and again, calming my rapidly beating heart. But there was no use. I desperately needed to see her, and I couldn't wait around.

I threw on just a t-shirt with my boxers and opened my apartment door. It was still pouring rain, but I didn't care at all as I climbed the stairs and headed towards her apartment. I banged on the door. No answer. I banged again and again, but there was no response. I peeked in the side window, getting myself even more soaked while doing so, but I saw no one. All the lights were off as well.

I ran back to my apartment, tossing my soaking wet t-shirt on the tile floor with a loud smack. I grabbed my phone up the next moment and checked to see if she had called me back in those few minutes while I was gone. No luck.

I took one step towards the bathroom to get a towel when I heard a knock at the door.

My pulse quickened, and somehow, I just knew it was her. I took another step towards the bathroom. I at least needed to cover up or something. All I had on was a flimsy pair of soaked boxers, but another, this time much louder, banging rang again from the door.

Slowly and hesitantly, I went to the door. I knew this would be our defining moment. This moment would change everything. In some ways, I was ready. In other ways, I was extremely frightened.

The ready won out, and I opened the door.

And there she was... soaking wet with her hair down around her shoulders still dressed in her bridesmaid's dress. I looked into her eyes, expecting to see tears and grief and sadness. Instead, I found fire and ice. Bella was mad.

"Bella, where are you-" I didn't get to finish my first sentence before she stepped into the apartment, straightened out both of her arms and pushed me hard in my chest. I flew backwards a couple of steps, shocked and confused.

"You don't get to talk right now!" she yelled at me. Forget mad. Bella was enraged, leaving me seriously confused. "I'm sick of hearing what you have to say!" And she pushed me again. I took a couple more steps backwards, allowing her to push me and not fight back. "Look at what you've done to me!" she cried, saying the same thing she had already said to me last night. "I'm selfish? I'm a selfish bitch? You're the one who thought of no one but yourself whenever you told me you loved me!" And she pushed me yet again. This time I grabbed for her wrists, but she twisted her wet arms out of my grip, resting them by her sides. "You're the one who has done this to me! You're the one who has fucked my whole life and changed everything I have ever believed in!" She pushed me again. "I can't stand you! I hate you for what you've done!" And this time when she pushed me, she threw me against a wall in the hallway.

I took her wrists in my hands, holding on as tightly as possible as she fought against me, pulling and raging like an animal being caught in a vice. "Bella, stop!"

So she did. She didn't fight me. She let me hold her wrists against my chest until she calmed enough for me to finally look at her. She stared up at me, fire still in her eyes. We stood there, both of us soaked from the rain, while searching each other's eyes. Her baby blues bounced from right to left, searching my eyes over and over. I felt her body sag, giving up and surrendering to me. Then, her eyes left mine long enough to glance at my lips.