Chapter Two

Daniela drove to work on Monday morning feeling relieved. She had definitely made up her mind. She would take the time off to travel to Europe with Nicasio—not only as a remedy for any new entanglements, but for the continued introspection she so desperately needed. Though still not apprised of any details about Nicasio's current project, she remembered what he had told her if she decided to join him. It was a promise to let her in on his work, and Daniela felt now she was never more ready for that and the European excursion.

Having responded coolly to Nicasio's silence all weekend, she decided that he was in the midst of preparations for his trip with his advisor, and frankly did not want to appear too eager to see him. Perhaps by Monday evening, when she was certain they would be in contact, it would be better to discuss her decision.

She thought of the trip often throughout her workday, and by two o'clock was already gaining her courage to notify Mr. Cuomo of her plans to be out of the studio for at least a week. She even thought of texting Nicasio with the news, but realized to surprise him would be better when they met up that night. She went about closing her computers, tidying her desk, and began watering the plants in the corners of her office in some futile gesture of hope that all things with her job would be relatively the same when she returned. Frankly, however, she did not care if they would or would not. And seeing and hearing her boss already in a foul mood with Vicky by midday, Daniela decided to breech the decision to inform him first thing the next morning.

An hour and a half later, Daniela closed her office and left for the parking garage characteristically fast. She wondered as she drove her Mercedes Smart through the downtown traffic and entered onto a thoroughfare to the Portola district why she had not taken more time off to travel before. Her parents had always encouraged it. But summer after summer she had declined to attend any 'study abroad' programs as a high school student, and even later rejected more adventurous opportunities while at university in Santa Barbara. So many times she remembered her parents bringing home the shiny brochures of far away places to entice her into travel. But at each turn she had argued with them, opting instead for the 'safe' life, comfortably close to her home. Daniela always preferred to pour herself into the drawings and paintings which she had surrounded herself with at the time, and anticipated only her visits to the riding club. Now feeling she was in a different zone, and noticeably emboldened each day, safety no longer seemed her main priority. Thoughts only of packing essential clothing and whatever else she might need minimally in a foreign country were what newly occupied her thoughts.

Returning home that evening, Daniela entered the house and found her mother in a state of exhaustion preparing to take her uncle to the airport. He had mentioned earlier in one of the family's all night discussions that he would spend some time with their younger sister who lived in San Diego—though everyone knew this was more about financial and emotional support than a visit. Now surprisingly, as Daniela entered the front door and sensed the house was in a state of genuine disarray, it seemed his departure would really happen.

"Oh . . . Daniela! Glad you're home, Hon."

Her mother practically collided with her in the entryway.

"Can you go back and see if your uncle has left any suitcases in the guest room? His taxi will be here any minute. My God! Where is he?" She turned and sprinted away shouting back behind her, "Hurry, Honey!"

Daniela calmly walked to the opposite end of the house on the first floor and diligently looked into the bedroom where her uncle had been staying. The maid had already tidied up the room and she could see there was indeed a brown carry-on bag left on the corner of the bed. She mindlessly picked it up and returned with it to the entryway where her uncle's other baggage was stacked monolithically, ready to be ferried to the airport.