Chapter Fourteen

Upon returning to the gates of the AmericanSchool of Classical Studies compound, the guard seemed surprised to be checking anyone in at such an early hour. After reciting their names several times and displaying Nicasio's passport, which fortunately had not fallen out of his jeans pocket, as a small camera he had taken with him had at some point that morning, the two exhausted researchers were allowed back inside. There they immediately and wordlessly collapsed into their joined single beds in their room of the dormitory.

Nicasio awoke many hours later and looked at the little Parthenon-shaped clock on the night stand. It was eleven forty, though he had trouble discerning for himself if it was AM or PM. Next he tried to think of exactly where he was. Could it really be the other side of the world from where he and Daniela had departed just days before? He reached over tenderly to the bed parallel to his and felt—nothing!

He jumped up and looked, only to see the little mattress next to his empty. He called out Daniela's name in the direction of the bathroom. Only silence followed.

Where could she have gone?

He stumbled into the little room, and finding it empty, took off his clothes and stepped under the water to better wake himself. Within minutes Nicasio had dressed and made his way out of the dorm. He speed across the gardens to the Blagen Library, checked through the security desk, and made his way back to where he and Daniela had spent the better part of the previous day and evening.

He discovered her this time sitting at the rear of the reading room. She had chosen a secluded corner work area and had already amassed several new piles of books on the desk. She seemed engrossed at that moment reading dense text on the computer screen in front of her. As the page of text rolled upward, little boxes of colored images appeared which Daniela was viewing one by one as she enlarged them.

"Looks like someone didn't make it in to school today," She said sarcastically in a monotone voice, sensing he was now behind her. She was still focused on the screen as she spoke.

"Yeah . . . well I have an excuse, teacher," Nicasio said defiantly.

"Let's hear it. . ."

"See . . . I was sexually attacked last night. Honestly. By this deranged woman in the dark . . . while just trying to walk home from Plaka . . ."

"You didn't seem to mind this assault so much at the time . . . as I remember witnessing it."

Daniela still hadn't looked away from the monitor. She spoke to him softly and dispassionately.

"Witnessing it? Only? Well if you ask me, there should be laws in this country about taking advantage of a poor drunk tourist. Lost on the hillside. . . confused and vulnerable . . ."

"There probably are such laws here, Nicasio. And I'm pressing charges against you this afternoon. Only . . . after lunch, OK? Are you as hungry as I am?"

Nicasio laughed quietly and put his hands on her shoulders. He felt her body coolly unmoved by his touch. She then pulled away slightly.

"Actually . . . I'm still feeling a little sick," he said, taking his hands away completely from her. "Must have been that terrible wine last night."

"Maybe it was the whole bottle of ouzo after it? You had the lion's share of both of those, as I recall, lover boy."

"Oh yeah . . .that too. The food was OK, though, huh?"

"A bit over priced . . . but yes. Delicious, actually."

She finally turned to look at him directly. She didn't seem nearly as tired as he felt, nor looked as bad, he thought.