Chapter Twenty-seven

Theofilos motioned for them to continue up a steep, cobbled pathway. They passed several more elaborate homes with gated gardens and stone walls while traveling further up the mountainside. These houses were distinctively bright in color-red and yellow, while others were of pastel hues. Some had ornate wooden eves with columned porches, and still others had faint painted designs as ornaments on the plaster walls under the roof. Potted plants were everywhere and from the little street some of the homes hinted of large gardens beyond their gates. Prevalent was the Neo-Classical style and the examples they now stood before were particularly stunning.

After two turns onto other forks in the passageway, Theo led his tiring guests to a singular, stone tiled walkway, appearing as a tunnel beneath the spreading trees above. It was flanked by high rock walls with planter boxes running tandem along the top of them. After fifteen or so meters there appeared a double wooden gate-closed and formidably locked. No address or name appeared anywhere near it. A small knotted rope could be seen protruding out of the wood through a tiny hole. Theo pulled it with a sturdy jerk. A distant bell like a telephone could be heard ringing somewhere behind the walls. It rang for several seconds before it stopped. Someone with graceful steps could be heard walking up to the other side to the gate. The footsteps ceased on the other side and the voice of a woman, now very close, broke the sound of running water in the street.

"Pios Einai?" The voice asked.

"Ego. O palaios filos sou . . ." Theo winked and smiled at the two of them, indicating it was, indeed the professor.

"Pios filos?"

"Theofilos. Apo sto Amerikaniko Scholio."

There was a pause. "Theo mou?"

"Neh neh, Nefeli! Ego Eimai."

The sound of locks being turned was followed by the gate swinging open. There before them was a tanned, middle-aged woman with short black hair and an appealing face. There was a distinctive tuft of light gray on the left side of her head, as if it had been painted there. She immediately smiled at them and jumped forward to give Theo a long, warm hug. The two friends looked into one another's face for a few long moments before smiling again.

"These are my friends from the USA," Theo said, turning and motioning to both guests. His eyes had welled up with tears. He strangely did not mention that they were on any research assignment.

The attractive woman in jeans, tennis shoes and a floral blouse also seemed moved by the encounter with her past friend. She then, for Daniela's and Nicasio's sake instantly broke into perfect English, though with a heavy Greek accent.

"Well it's my pleasure to welcome you here," she addressed them. "Please come in. I've just made some mountain sun tea."

The three followed the elusive woman inside onto a garden path which led back to a spacious and tall two story house. It was built of caramel-colored stone blocks and accented with crème tinted window frames. On each side of these were large, open shudders. A light green wrought-iron railing ran across the upper balcony with curvilinear patterns and there were two dormers tastefully set equidistant into the tiled roof. Priscilla curtains behind the open windows gently swayed in a breeze at the upper level. There was a feeling of complete privacy within this small, enclosed estate and a special aura of solitude which Daniela instantly admired.

Dr. Vasiliou led her three unexpected guests into an entryway where several large oil paintings of sailing ships hung, seemingly far up the walls to correct for the tall ceilings of the house. The interior space seemed to be almost half a story taller than most homes, with faint blue decorative molding defining the perimeter of the ceiling. A floral art nouveau bronze chandelier hung down from the center of this anteroom by a heavy matched chain. The professor passed them brusquely through the kitchen, a flash of rose-colored and green tiles, and outside again onto a large balcony which featured a stunning view of the surrounding mountains on one side and the distant Aegean Sea on the other. Flowerpots with blossoms were again abundant on this deck and the white table and chairs she offered them were a heavy, wrought-iron style with light green pillows.