Chapter 22

"Why?", I asked trying to stay calm because if not I'd yell, and if I yell my baby is going to wake up.

"Because it looked interesting to me and I thought it would be nice to join and I could see what I'm really interested in doing while I'm there"

"So are you going into warfare or are you nursing or something?"

"I'm going to be in war"

"Mila are you serious? You've gotta be joking", Tiana said looking at her the same way I was.

"Nope I'm foreal"

"Why you sound so sad though? What's going on Mi?", I asked now concerned because she was being real dry and sounded so sad.

"Y'all I- me and D we...", she was choking up on her words so I sat next to her and started hugging her.

"It's okay Mila", I said rubbing her back.

"Yeah just calm down", Tiana said now holding her too.

"I c-can't stay here. I didn't really inlist but...", she started crying.

"Take your time girl"

"I-I could've lost my baby yesterday"

"Your what?"

"Me and Dashaun were with each other one day when I caught the biggest pain in my stomach. We were just walking and talking and we didn't even know I was pregnant. My water broke and when I got to the hospital they said I was about 15 weeks pregnant", my mouth shot wide open. I couldn't even believe it.

"Are you serious?"

"Y-yes no person in they right mind would lie about this. So I was in the hospital for a few days and Dashaun stayed with me and when I was released I went to see my baby and he is fighting for his life to stay alive. He was so little I mean, my pinky looked like a huge tower", she started crying harder and I couldn't even begin to imagine what she was feeling and I know Tiana couldn't either, she was a mother first.

"Wh...how...I mean...I just don't even know what to say"

"His name is Khyree and someone was coming in to feed him and before they left I guess they bumped into something but it was on the pipe he's breathing with and it blocked the air flow so my baby could have died, thank God Dashaun was going to see him last night. He said he seen my baby turning purple when he went in there", she was crying even harder. I took Janiyah from her arms and took her to her room since she was already sleep.

"He's okay now Mila. He's fine okay", Tiana was in tears too and I was crying not even noticing.

"How old is he now?"

"He's 6 months now. He's come so far I mean he's the strongest person I've ever seen in my life"

"He is, you have pictures of him?"

"Yeah but we aren't showing them until he's ready to come home. We want to have a party for him"

"And who else knows?"

"Just us and Dashaun and Larelle", she started shaking real bad so I got up to get her some ice water. I handed it to her and she started to calm down. "It's okay Mila, he's doing good right now so he'll get better and better"

"I know and I've been trying to think that way too"

"You know you could've told us girl. We would've had your back the whole time and we could've went up there..."

"No!! Just please don't go up there. I don't like all the attention like that and they not gone let anybody see him anyway. I just...I want him to do good and keeping doing good. He's gonna keep fighting, he's gonna make it", she started crying again so we held her. We didn't talk anymore we just help her.