Chapter 2

Chapter 2

-Kristen's POV-

March 2, 2013

Andrea's party went really well!  I was surprised with how many people came over!  My parents bought her tickets to a One Direction concert coming up over in Toronto, and she completely freaked! I love One Direction (Liam and Niall are by far the cutest! Aww, Niam!), but have never been to a concert...she is so lucky.  But, I'm glad for her.  As I start the sink for the dishes, I hear the doorbell ring.

"I've got it!" Andrea shouts, and runs excitedly to the door.  I smirk and shake my head, what an energetic sister I have.

"MOM! DAD! I-I think you need to get to the door!" What is going on?  Andrea sounds worried.  I run to the door and see a huge balding police officer.  I mean, the guy was HUGE!  He looked as if he had been lifting weights since he was 5.  It sure got me scared.  My parents came rushing to the door, and my mum motioned for us girls to leave the room.  As Andrea and I go up to her room, I hear the officer tell my parents that they may or may not be in trouble.  What the heck?  I wish I knew what was happening!

“K-Kris?” I hear Andrea warble out.  I turn towards her voice and open my arms.

“Shh, shh.  I’m sure it will be all right hon.  It’s probably a mistake.  You’ll see!  Why don’t we watch a movie? That’ll keep our minds of this eh?” I ask.  She slowly nods her head and goes to pick out Up All Night.  I smirk.  Figures.  But what the heck, let’s fangirl together!

About 25 minutes into the concert footage, my mom comes up the stairs, and says that I need to come with her.  I look at Andrea confused – who mirrors the look I am giving her, and shrug my shoulders. “I’ll be right back, tell me if you notice any other funny fans!” I say.  We have a game, where every time we watch Up All Night, we always look for the funny fans.  You know, the ones with crazy outfits, signs, or the ones that go ballistic and scream and cry.  We always get a kick out of pausing the DVD at just the right moment too.

As my feet pad down the carpeted stairs, I hear my dad ask the officer something, but don’t quite make it out.

“Ah, so this is Ms. Brooks.” The officer says, and leans back into the creaky recliner.  I nod my head and sit with my parents.

“Y-you needed me?” I question, clearing my throat.

“Yes, I have some news for you, but I would like for Mr. and Mrs. Brooks to tell you something first.”

“Oh?” I look to my parents, who are starting to look really uneasy.  Finally, my dad clears his throat.

“W-we meant to tell you on your birthday this year, before you become legal worldwide, but, the circumstances are proving different.”

“Dad, you’re talking in circles…spill.”

“Hon, you’re-you’re adopted.”

“W-what?” I slump back in my seat between my parents – err, guardians.  You know what? Screw that. I’ll still call them mum and dad, even if I find my birth parents.  As I digest this information, my mum breaks down in tears.

“Mum, don’t cry, I’ll still call you my parents!  Even if I find out who my biological parents are!” I say, giving her a hug.  The officer clears his throat though, indicating there’s more.

“Actually, the adoption wasn’t legal.” He says, as my mum just loses it and starts sobbing.

“What?!”

“Yes, you see, the adoption was what is known as a ‘backstreet adoption’, though it is beginning to seem as if Mr. and Mrs. Brooks were victims.”

“H-how?!” I ask, now I am even more confused.  But I need to know, how did this happen?

“Well, it all started on a date you may recognize…

.

.

.

.

.

September 13th, 1993…”

(A/N: Soo...the chapters do get longer!! About 1,000 words each!  Thanks for the reads!)