Chapter 4

The next morning I woke up and looked round in shock at my surroundings. Then it all flooded back...the fire...the grumpy newsagent..

I felt my stomach rumble, god I was hungry.

I stood up and looked round my surroundings again.

I was so messed up last night I didn't realise I'm on a busy shopping street.

Also, they're loads of people, literally hundreds storming up and down the pavements.

I was starting to walk when I noticed a dirty old man hunched up against a wall on the other side of the street with a coffee cup in his hand. I was surprised with the amount of change that was being thrown into is cup.

Maybe I could beg, I thought...just for this morning, then I'll find a job this afternoon.

I jumped up and walked over to a bin, trying to look casual as I leaned down to look in the bin.

Bingo! There was a reasonably clean coffee cup sitting on top of the pile of rubbish.

I quickly snuck my hand into the bin, grabbed it, and pulled my hand back out,

Yes! The coffee cup was quite dry inside.

I walked over to the side of the pavement and sat with my back up against a building. Crossing my legs beneath me and holding out my cup.

I was weirdly delighted when my first 20c was thrown into the cup. Then 10c, then 50c, then 5c, then a. Couple of 1and 2c coins.

I emptied my coffee cup into my pockets every few minutes to make it look like I wasn't getting any money.

After about an hour I counted up my money. Including my change from yesterday I had €7.63.

I walked to the nearest cafe and bought myself a pot of tea and a hot roll. I then realised I should probably buy myself something for later so after I finished my breakfast/lunch I walked to the nearest shop and bought a loaf of bread. I didn't have enough for a bottle of water so I decided I'd come back later for it.

I walked back to my place on the pavement and resumed begging, continuing to empty my cup every couple of minutes.

After about 2 hours I walked back to the shop and bought myself a bottle of water, safely stowing the change in my pocket.

As I was falling asleep in my doorway, I realised my day hadn't actually been that bad.

I knew I couldn't stay in this situation for long, but I decided that I could live with this for a couple of days.

The next day I woke up desperately needing to pee. After walking round for a bit, I finally found a public toilet and went to the bathroom. I also wet my hair and tied it back up into a tight bun on the top of my head

I walked back to the doorway and continued to beg. After a couple of hours I walked to the same cafe and bought my brunch there. I also realised I was starting to smell, so I quickly walked back to my doorstep and continued to beg.

This time I begged for quite a while as I needed to buy quite a lot. When I was finished begging I walked to the near by pharmacy and bought toothpaste, shampoo, a cheap toothbrush, soap, and a small towel.

I then made my way back to the public toilet, locked myself in the grimy cubicle and washed my body, hair and teeth, drying myself dry with the towel afterwards and slipping my clothes back on.

I made my way back to the doorway, only to find someone already sleeping there.

I decided I should just find somewhere else to sleep. I walked round until I found a corner in an alleyway. I was about to fall asleep when I heard the music start.

I was obviously sleeping up against a night club.

Oh well, I thought. Might as well try and get some sleep.

-----------------

Please vote, comment xx