Nancy's Denial

( Nancy Carter )

( Nancy Carter )

I was supposed to be an ordinary girl but I wasn't. Something changed my life, someone made my life... unusual.

"I'm not dead!" I cry

"Of course you are not Miss Carter, you are right here with us" The stranger replies.

"I said I'm not dead!"

"Miss Carter, can you tell us who did this to you?"

"It was you! You did this to me! You are the reason I'm here", I say, pointing my index at one of the doctor who looks quite messy and peculiar when compared to his co-workers.

"Miss Carter, do you recognize this boy?" says the other.

"Hi Nancy, I'm Abraham do you remember me?" the gentle boy speaks.

"Huh! Teddy! Lal la lal la la"

"Yes she recognizes me doctor she used to call me teddy" Abraham informs blithely.

"Excellent! Maybe you could convince her to answer the questions then" The man speaks again, while the other doctors examine the wound and check my pressure with a pumping bag.

"Ok Doctor Lincoln I'll try my best" The boy replies in obedience.

"Nancy, Can you do me a favor?"

"Abraham, Believe me! I'm not crazy! I'm not dead!"

"Of course I believe you Nancy. If you would be dead I wouldn't be here talking to you right?"

"See! I'm not dead" I say, giving Doctor Lincoln a stern look "You are just trying to make me look psychic"

"Nancy, listen to me" He continues "I'm going to ask you a question and I want you to answer me very clearly, alright?"

"Why? Why would you trick me that way?"

"Nancy I'm your best friend so I don't want you ignoring me now alright?" Abraham speaks, taking my palm kindly onto his to gain my attention.

I switch my glance to Doctor Lincoln and answer him for the last time "No you are not dead" and then reply bluntly, "I'm listening Abraham"

"Ok Nancy, can you tell me who did this to you?" he asks, pointing his finger onto my chest that carves the word "Whore"

"I can't" I answer alarmingly, stitching my lip with an invisible thread.

"Why not Nancy, don't you want to share a little secret with your best friend?"

"No! You'll tell him"

"I'll tell whom Nancy?"

"He is going to kill me then"

"No one is going to kill you Miss Carter. We will all protect you from him" A lanky doctor comforts.

"No I can't! Don't you understand? He'll kill me!" I make myself clear.

"Ok how about you tell me his name and I'll tell you a secret Ok?"

"No If I tell you his name I want you to get me out of here"

Abraham hesitates this for a while and then answers motionlessly "Ok I'll. I promise."

"But, What if he kills me?"

"Who will kill you Nancy? Who? Who is that "he"?" He presses on me, holding my chin.

"He is one of your friends"

"Ok tell me his name then"

"Maynard" I utter.