Chapter 21- Alone.

As I walk away from Carl I know I've made the biggest mistake in my entire life, but I had to keep walking. I did this for him, for us. I don't want him dying because of me I wouldn't be able to handle that.

When I enter the prison Maggie and Beth run into my arms and hug me.

"Are you alright?" Beth asks wiping away my tears.

"C-can I just go to my cell?" I asked. Quickly remembering it wasn't just 'my' cell it was Carl's too.

"Ill walk you there." Beth says giving me a small smile.

As we were walking Beth stops me.

"I'm sorry about Kai. He really was a great guy." She says looking to the ground.

"It's fine. he's in a better place. hey Beth?" I ask.

"Yeah?" she responds.

"Do you mind if I bunk with you for awhile?" I ask nervously.

"You and Carl fighting?" she asks.

"You could say that." I sniffle.

"Of course. c'mon lets get your things." Beth says continuing to walk.

As we enter the cell I see Carl sitting on the bed, I don't know how he got there so fast but he was there.

"Can we talk please?" Carl begs looking a me with his puffy eyes.

"No. Im sorry Carl but this is what needs to happen." I say packing my clothes and belongings in a bag.

"I love you." He says standing up grabbing my hand. I quickly pull away.

"Carl we can't happen! what part dont you get?!" I say raising my voice.

"Ill be in my cell" Beth excuses herself from the conversation.

"The part about us not being together! Jesse we've been inseparable since we met each other. Which was over 4 years ago." Carl states.

"I can't do this. I can't Carl. If I let you in that mean we'll both be letting our guards down. I can't be that person to end you. I can't and I won't. We just have to cope by ourselves. Alone. Goodbye Carl." I say kissing his cheek and grabbing my bag quickly leaving the room.

As I exit the room I lean against a wall and slide down, and cry.

Then Daryl comes up, seeing that I was in need.

He slides down next to me.

"Hey there Darlin' you need to talk? about 'girl' stuff, ill try my best can't say ill be any good." he says, I chuckle.

"I broke things off with Carl." I say looking down.

"Can I ask why you did?" he curiously asks.

"After what happened to Kai I realized because of love Kai let his guard down with Celina. And I don't want to let my guard down with Carl, so I ended it." I say.

"Celina wasn't right in the head Jess, you gotta understand that." Daryl retorts.

"Oh I do perfectly well. remember back at the farm? when Randall held a knife to my throat?" I ask. He nods.

"If Carl hadn't called for help I would've died. Carl is my only true love Daryl. I can't loose him. I Can't. So I have to feel completely alone for him to live then so be it." I say standing up. Daryl stands also.

"I'm sorry you feel that way." Daryl said walking away.

I wipe the last few tears and walk to Beth's cell.

"Hey there. How'd it go with Carl?" She asked concerned.

"I don't know." I shake my head.

"Here ill help you unpack." Beth said grabbing my bag.

"Thank you Beth. For everything." I say as Beth and I get me settled in to my new room. Without Carl.