Basics

"They asked for what?!" I screeched, the door slamming behind me.

"You're hand in-"

"I heard what you said! Chachi, this is insane. Are you sure?"

"Kaisa stupid sa question hai yeh? Tumhe yeh mazak lagta hai? (What stupid question is that? You think this is a joke?)" She chided. I heard some shuffling in the background before a door shut. "Inayah, this is all overwhelming, I'm sure. But nothing will happen unless you're 100 percent sure about it all. Just consider it. Talk to him if you'd like. And then call me."

"Chachi.... I don't know what's going on," my voice broke as the elevator doors opened. I could see Safiyana Bhabhi in the driver's side.

"I know beta, it's all crazy. But that's just how things happen sometimes. I'm sorry I called so suddenly too but I want to give them an answer as soon as I can. They seemed really hopeful about you babe," she meant to comfort but her words made me more and more nervous. I reached the car and told my aunt I'd call her later.

"Good morning," I replied to the happy driver. She noticed my reservation a knowing look flashed over her face. "My aunt called."

"Look, my mom had mentioned it when she came and I guess they went and talked to everyone back home. I'm sorry if I'd known so-"

"Bhabhi, it's okay," I stopped her from apologizing. "I just, I want to talk Yusuf if that's okay?" I looked to her apprehensively.

"Of course. I'm sure you have a lot of questions but I want you to know you can talk to me about anything. I maybe Yusuf's cousin but I'm your friend too. I hope you know that you can trust me," she put a hand on my leg reassuringly. I nodded and took a deep, settling breath.

There was one question that nagged me till we got to my building. I opened the car door but before closing it, I blurted out my dumb question.

"Has he said anything about me?"

A smile broke out on her face that quickly turned up into an amused smirk. "He hasn't said anything. But he's been smiling weirdly when he's just sitting around and sometimes waits around for someone to join us for dinner before giving up and eating," she shrugged mockingly.

"Thanks Bhabhi," I muttered embarrassedly before closing her door and rushing out of the cold.

"Come on in love," Ayaan bhai ushered me in out of the cold October rain. He groaned about how wet it always was in Oxford as we head upstairs to his floor. He opened the door and the smell of Italian spices hit me. I took off my jacket and followed him into the kitchen. I greeted Safiyana Bhabhi and them timidly smiled at Yusuf. The nerves hit again and I didn't know where to look anymore.

Dinner was good, with Ayaan's story about his rainy day disaster filling up most of the silence. After dinner, as we were cleaning up was when the problem hit.

"Ayaanwe forgot to get bread! Let's go quickly before Tesco closes," Bhabhi said to Ayaan. Both Yusuf and I opened out mouths to repudiate but Ayaan bhai quickly agreed and the two were out the door before I could even blink.

"We'll be back in 15," were Bhabhi's parting words before we were encased in extreme awkward silence. I set the bowl I was holding in the fridge and then looked around the clean kitchen.

"Sit," Yusuf invited. I scratched my nose to stall before realizing I didn't have much of a choice at this point and sat down on the stool at the end of the breakfast bar furthest from him. He was nibbling on slices of cucumbers left over and offered me one. I shook my head no with a stifled laugh. Heavy rain splatters were all we had to listen to till Yusuf finally spoke up.