Chapter Three

I can't sleep. Looking over at the clock, I see that it's almost midnight. I have five hours before I need to be awake. I hate being a leader. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Wait a minute. My promise to Logan! I completely forgot how I promised I would make it to the Steam. I sneak over to my desk and write him a letter.

Logan-
When the leaders captured me, they turned me into one of them, I guess to keep an eye on me. They say I have "potential" and by they I mean Marcella Chillwit. Most of the officials trust me, and I will plan an escape soon. Don't worry, I'm still on your side. Love you and miss you!
-Kenzie

Well that helped some. Now that I know I can contact Logan, sleep finally comes, but not until I tuck the envelope under my shirt for safe keeping until I can get to the Keepers tomorrow.

***

"Kenzie!" Logan cries, "I love you!"

"I love you too, Logan!" I manage to choke out. Seeing him lying in a pool of his own blood, the life slowly draining from his face, I know that there's nothing I can do to help.

"Do you want me to do anything?" I ask him.

He replies weakly, "Sing" and so I do

My true love
Walk with me my friend
My true love
Tell me once again
That we'll always be together
Through all life's pain and joy
And our love will stay forever
'Till I see you once again

My true love
Walk with me my friend
My true love
I'll tell you once again
I love you more than words can say
You make me smile every day
Just promise me one single thing
Stay with me to the end

And if you make it through tomorrow
Through all life's pain and sorrow
I'll be with you in every way
Side by side, every day
We'll always be together
And our love will stay forever
Through all of the bad weather
'Till I see you once again

"That was b-beautiful Kenz. Thank you," Logan whispers, as the last bit of life drains from his face, the twinkle leaves his eyes, and he slumps into my lap. I know I've lost him. And I can never forgive myself.

***

I wake up, feeling like I'm choking. Ohhh yeah. Leaders don't have emotions. I can't cry. So I guess I'm just going to choke on my own unshed tears. Thank goodness that it was a dream. I clean myself up, and get ready to head to the dining area. This is going to be a long day, and I don't know how I'll make it through it. Suddenly the song I sang in my dream comes back to me, and it gives me the courage I need to walk out the door.