Chapter Seven

"Tucker!" Doctor Chillwit screeched in a terrifying voice, "Pick up the pace!" Training was difficult. Sprints, stretches, weights, strength tests, the list goes on and on. Running had always been one of my favorite pastimes, a way to escape reality. Now, it was a little harder to enjoy, but I needed to keep a strong face. I was finding it harder and harder to show any emotion, and right now it was helping me.

Icy rain poured in sheets down my back, giving me the boost to run an extra mile, two, three, four...

"That's good for today!" The instructor called. Finishing off my eighth mile, I calmly walked inside. Becoming a leader had its perks; with training, I would never tire. Leaders could sprint for hours at a time, go without water for a solid week and not experience any effects of dehydration, and kill like nothing else. I was starting to feel more machine than human.

There were pills, silver capsules, that I was only supposed to take for a week. They took away emotions, weaknesses, prevented sickness, and most painfully, memories. Any sentimental memories faded into the dark corners of my mind, and after the week was up, I was mentally prepared to be a Leader. However, for my plan, I needed to be more than a leader. I kept taking the pills. Twice a day, a silver capsule downed with a drink from the bathroom sink made its way through my system.

I had this master plan that I would turn on the Leaders. I figured that I could never forget the people I loved, and I would never forget why I was making myself more powerful than any Leader had ever been. Once I got to The Steam, I would show Logan who I was, and use my superhuman power to take down all of the Leaders. We could spend the rest of our lives searching for my mother, and later get married and raise a beautiful Rebel family in The Steam.

I was already feeling the effects of the extra medication. The other Leaders called them machine pills, because they took away some human qualities. Now I couldn't cry, laugh, or smile. Everything was dull, except anger. Anger never left, because anger was the main quality that held a leader together. Without anger, I wouldn't have kept up my mission. I hated Chillwit for what she had done to Logan, and my mother.

...

I'm not feeling very inspired, but it was either this or nothing. I have a special Christmas surprise coming for you guys soon!
~Emma