Epilogue

A lanky red-headed little boy runs past, screaming with joy as a shorter girl chases him, her long braids streaming behind her.

"Kids, settle down now." Their mother laughs.

The children don't pay much attention, and continue their little game.

"Somebody save me from the evil dragon!" The boy shouts as his sister continues to run after him.

"Auntie Bridget to the rescue!" A thin-framed young woman choruses, diving in and picking up the squirming girl.

The parents smile from their seats on the front porch, enjoying the scene.

"Isn't it amazing that they get to grow up like this, Kenz?" The man asks his wife.

"It really is, Logan. To be able to sing and laugh and play pretend out in front of the neighborhood, with no fear of being punished." She replies. "And it's really all because of you."

"No, it's because of you, Mackenzie. We wouldn't know how to reverse the Machine treatment if it wasn't for you. We wouldn't have been able to turn everyone back to normal if it wasn't for you. We wouldn't have been able to take down the Society if it wasn't for you. I know that getting captured was definitely not your plan, but I wouldn't have it any other way now."

"I guess you're right. I mean, if everything had gone according to plan, we would be raising our children in the Steam, living in fear of the Leaders. Now they can be truly free."

"We can all be truly free."