Serious

"RAINBOW FIST PUNCH!!" Star screamed, as a colorful blast of power kapowed a creepy bear monster straight in the head.

Meanwhile, Marco's hands were ninja swords as he chopped his way to victory. Monster fighting had become a daily routine for Star and Marco. Always Ludo- a teeny tiny green freak that wore a skull for a hat came battled them. And always, Star and her karate chopping bestie, Marco would be the only ones kicking butt to succeed.

Ludo sighed, as he watched his entire pathetic monster army strewn across the Diaz's lawn. With his dimensional scissors, he opened up their gateway home.

In his obnoxious voice (one similar to a cranky old chipmunk), he screamed, "alright, you know the drill- back in the portal, back in the portal!! Walk of sham everyone! We'll pick this up again tomorrow. I will get that waaand!!!"

Star smiled as she dusted off her fingers, while admired her priceless purple wand.

"Oh monsters. They just don't know when to stop. At this point we'll be fighting them with canes next. Hmm, not that it wouldn't be any fun."

Marco stared down at the grass below. "Yup. We'll be fighting them forever." Star frowned, and her blue eyes watched him skeptically.

Is he feeling alright? He sure is acting weird.

She wondered what put him in such a sour mood. Especially when they were fighting monsters. Everytime she blasted a narwhal or jelly bean illusion in a monster's face, sometimes she'd glance at Marco and see a real, bright smile from ear to ear. But lately she hadn't been seeing a lot of those. And if monster fighting wouldn't do it:

"then what would?"

She drummed her fingers against her wand as she studied Marco's behavior. He was looking out at the blue sky with brown eyes full of sadness. 

It wasn't Star's fault. Not exactly. He just didn't know how to tell her. He didn't know if he could.

Don't be stupid. She's your closest friend. You can tell her anything. He faced Star gloomily.

"Marco, what's wrong with you? These days you just don't seem yourself anymore."

"I dunno Star. I just think that maybe it's time to move on."

"Move on?"

He bit his lip. There was no easy way to put it.

"Listen, I don't think I can keep this up anymore."

"Keep what up? Marco quit the stalling! Just tell me what's going on!!"

Star's voice was oddly firm. She rarely acted like that. Only when she was serious. And Star Butterfly is anything but serious.

"Well, any best friend of mine deserves to know?"

"Deserves to know what!?!"

She felt as if his answers were karate chopped short. He was making below zero sense whatsoever. "Marco, why are you-"

"I'm going to college, Star!!" he announced.

That wasn't expected.

Star was frozen in place. She literally had no words. No expression. No movement. She was just frozen. Marco watched her tediously.

"Uhh... Star?"

He shook her shoulders, snapped fingers in her face, and even tried dancing around like Urkle on the disco floor for attention. But nothing worked. Star was in too much dismay.

He looked into those big blue eyes of her. He really did like those eyes, they were a lovely shade one as blue as the sky.  He shook his head.

Where am I even going with this. Star's your friend- that's the end of it.