Chapter 10

Billie Joe woke up the next morning curled up in a ball on the floor of his shower, the water still running. He felt freezing under the water that had chilled over night, and quickly sat up to turn it off.

A sharp pain shot up Billie's neck as he moved his body. Billie Joe hissed in pain before grabbing his injury in pity. He knew he shouldn't have slept in the shower, but he couldn't move out of the fear and sadness he experienced that day.

Billie peeled off his wet shirt and shorts and grabbed a towel from the back of the door. He yet again avoided his reflection as he dried his wet body. He felt vulnerable in his naked skin, and couldn't even bring himself to look down. Steve had scared him so badly.

A bit of relief was met with Billie Joe as he realized it was Saturday. That means he could be out of the house as much as he wanted. No Steve. No school. No questions. Just him, his guitar, Mike, and Tré. All of them at band practice where everything was okay.

Billie shuffled out into his gloomy bedroom and searched for some clothes. He found a balled up shirt and some baggy jeans. Billie Joe realized that he wouldn't even be able to wear a short sleeve shirt if he had cut last night. His mother had saved him. What was he thinking?

Thoughts flowed through Billie Joe's mind that reminded him of the great times he used to have with his mom. They used to talk so easily, share secrets, make memories. Now it was as if Billie would try to avoid his mother at all cost. He was scared that she would see the bruises. Scared that she would see his depression. Scared that Steve would hurt him more. Billie shivered.

Billie Joe didn't bother to brush his hair before he searched the room for his guitar Blue. A rare half smile showed on Billie's face that went away as soon as it came. Blue was his prized possession, the one thing he used to make his dad proud. He missed his dad so much. No, Billie Joe! Don't think about your dad. Push away the emotions. Push away your sorrow. No need for safe keeping.

Billie shook his head before slinging Blue over his shoulder. He wasn't going to take the risk of running in to Steve on the way to the front door, so he made a quick decision to jump out his window. He didn't want to come that close to being violated ever again.

The fall wasn't that far, considering he was living in a one story house. His feet stomped on the early morning grass. Billie Joe hugged himself, regretting not bringing a jacket. It was pretty chilly outside, it only being nine in the morning.

Billie mindlessly went down the familiar trail to Mike's house, feeling a warm sensation inside his chest. He was excited to finally do something that he loved. He knew it would take his mind off things.

When Billie Joe finally got to Mike's comforting house, he sighed before walking up his driveway. Billie completely ignored the front door and went for the window of Mike's basement. He could already hear Tré banging away on his drums and Mike strumming away on his rich sounding bass.

Billie bent down and tapped on the window, getting the attention of both of his friends. He heard their instruments slowly die down as Mike walked over to the window. Mike pulled back the curtains to see his small, silenced friend standing on the other side of the clear glass.

Mike opened the creaky window with a smile. He was happy to see that his best friend wasn't mad at him for the other day when he asked him about Steve. The conversation got pretty heated.

"Hey, Bill!" Mike cheered as Billie slid his guitar case through the small opening.

Mike caught the falling case, sitting it gently on the ground before turning back to Billie Joe. Of course Billie didn't respond, not even bothering to say a simple 'fuck off.' He just put his legs through the open window first, preparing to slide onto a box under the window that broke his fall every time.