Part 7

Thankfully, Lucy had remained reasonable with her indulging. Or maybe that wasn't such a good thing, because as soon as they were in the car, she launched into a full-on interrogation.

"Okay, who was that stud you were with?"

"What?"

"The cute guy I saw you slow dancing with?" Lucy teased.

Flushing, Katie bit her lip.

"Oh... Luke."

"Come on, you have to have more than that on him!"

"No, we only spoke like... ten minutes..." Katie said.

Though they had been ten minutes she wasn't about to forget in a hurry.

"What was he like? Funny, smart? Charming?"

"... More like... intriguing," Katie said thoughtfully, looking at the starry sky outside. "He was nice enough..."

"Did you get his number?"

"... No..."

Lucy let out a groan of desperation.

"If you like him, why didn't you get some way to contact him?"

"I only met him tonight, and it wasn't the kind of thing that led to exhanging phone numbers..."

"Ooh? What does that mean?"

"Nothing! Just... it was a little more intense than your regular first encounter..."

"Oh? Intense how? Did he feel weird or something?"

"No... Not in a bad way, at least. In any case, I probably won't ever see him again."

"Which is a shame," Lucy stated. "An encounter like that is fate. You should've taken his number."

"... I don't know," Katie answered pensively. "I often read about fate and destiny... and I think maybe it was meant to be this way. You know?"

Lucy shrugged,

"Maybe, I guess." she conceded. "I still think it's a shame, though."

Katie wasn't sure what to say to that, so she said nothing. Instead, she found a way to shift the centre of attention off herself.

"What about that boy you were dancing with most of the night?"

"Oh, him? Nah, he wasn't right for me."

"Too insistent?"

"Too already taken," Lucy grumbled. "And you wouldn't believe the earful his girlfriend gave him."

Katie couldn't help a chuckle.

"I can imagine," she remarked, grinning.

Lucy sighed and leaned into her seat.

"I want a pony," she said.

Katie glanced at her. Maybe Lucy had had a bit more to drink than she'd thought.

"What you want is some sleep," she smiled,

They eventually reached the Thomas household. Katie kept an arm around Lucy as they entered the house. As she'd expected, Heleana was sitting in the living room, reading a book.

"Mum, I told you not to wait up for us..." Katie sighed.

"You know I can't sleep properly if I know you're out," Heleana commented. "Everything okay?"

"Yes," she nodded.

"I hate caramel..." Lucy muttered, leaning into Katie.

Heleana cast her a concerned glance, but Katie shook her head.

"She'll be fine, she just had a couple too many beers," she said.

She led her up the stairs and into her room, where a camp bed had been set up for Lucy, who slumped into bed fully dressed. Katie smiled and shook her head before changing into her pyjamas. She glanced outside as she fell asleep, a small smile on her lips as she watched the stars shaped like a dazzling couple dance under the moon.

***********************

Ah the inquisitive best friend! Drives us nuts but we love them to bits, right?

Have you ever come across pricks like Hunter? Tell us in the comments!

What's with this Luke character?  Any thoughts? Let's find out in the next chapter!